Temp Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temp Problem

Hi got a problem with my surf it’s a 1993 2.4. Was sat in traffic today and noticed the temp gauge was just below the red, when normally it half way. So I turned the engine of until traffic was moving again. As soon as I drove off the temp gauge returned to it’s normal position within seconds. There’s no drop in performance. Later I let it do the same as soon as the fan kicked in the temp gauge started going up, when it got to just before the red and slightly raised the rev’s and the temp gauge went straight back down.
    Does anyone have any idea what’s going on.

Thanks in advance Rob

Hi mate,

How much water in the expansion bottle, is it full or
    about half way?
    Cooling system may be air locked, try burping it with
    both the heaters on full, and facing up hill if possible,
    if your heaters don't work it's sure sign of being short
    of water. leave rad cap on divers seat over night, so not
    to forget to replace it next day, if no better then change
    the rad cap and the stat. Hope this helps.

Gman

EDIT: 1/2 way is correct, Don't fill it.
    Last edited by GRASSMAN; 8 March 2009, 22:52.
    If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

I dont remember there being an expansion bottle on the 2.4, but it definetly sounds like an air lock. Burp the system mate
      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

if you are not loseing any water, burp the system, try flushing and reverse flushing, replace stat and rad cap, check or top up viscous fan.
        my old 2.4 used to reach the red zone but soon as i pulled over the gauge dropped back to normal, after changeing the cap, stat, viscous fan,water pump and adding an oil cooler all to no avail the prob was all down to the rad
        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
          I dont remember there being an expansion bottle on the 2.4, but it definetly sounds like an air lock. Burp the system mate
          there's deffo an expansion bottle on the 2.4's also
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by rabutcher View Post
            Does anyone have any idea what’s going on.
            It's overheating when you're stationary?

Next time you get the truck up to normal temperature after a run, lift the bonnet, switch the engine off and see if the fan stops with the engine. If it doesn't (or spins easily when the engine is hot after a run), service the vicous fan. Also check the harmonic balancer, burp the cooling system, check the fan belts and flush the cooling system.
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

my surf is the opposite it run warm all day but once stood at lights or in traffic the heaters went cold although the gauge stayed at normal,..

Comment

Originally posted by arron View Post
                my surf is the opposite it run warm all day but once stood at lights or in traffic the heaters went cold although the gauge stayed at normal,..
                That's probably an air lock. Burp your cooling system asap!
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                X