Clutch trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch trouble?

I have a problem with my '89 2.4, in that the clutch sometimes slips in 3rd and 4th when accelerating, i.e. revs race ahead of speed. It's done it occasionally in 3rd when on steep hills as well.
    Thing is, it's intermitant and doesn't show all the symptoms of a worn clutch, like if you stick the handbrake on, stick it in 4th and release the clutch, it stops dead, no slippage at all - the mechanic who last serviced it reckoned it should slip if the clutch was dying?
    Also seems to be worse when it's raining / damp (which is a real pain when living in Manchester!).

Any ideas? The mechanic did think there was a slight oil leak at the rear of the engine before Xmas on the last service, but that wasn't there when he serviced it a week ago. He's quoting £200 parts plus about the same in labour to replace the clutch, but isn't entirely sure that's what it is, so I'm a bit loath to spend that amount if there's a possibility it won't solve the problem!

Any ideas / offers of help(!) greatly appreciated, I'm an analytical chemist and these machanical things leave me baffled!

Geoff.

Originally posted by Smeg
    I have a problem with my '89 2.4, in that the clutch sometimes slips in 3rd and 4th when accelerating, i.e. revs race ahead of speed. It's done it occasionally in 3rd when on steep hills as well.
    Thing is, it's intermitant and doesn't show all the symptoms of a worn clutch, like if you stick the handbrake on, stick it in 4th and release the clutch, it stops dead, no slippage at all - the mechanic who last serviced it reckoned it should slip if the clutch was dying?
    Also seems to be worse when it's raining / damp (which is a real pain when living in Manchester!).

Any ideas? The mechanic did think there was a slight oil leak at the rear of the engine before Xmas on the last service, but that wasn't there when he serviced it a week ago. He's quoting £200 parts plus about the same in labour to replace the clutch, but isn't entirely sure that's what it is, so I'm a bit loath to spend that amount if there's a possibility it won't solve the problem!

Any ideas / offers of help(!) greatly appreciated, I'm an analytical chemist and these machanical things leave me baffled!

Geoff.
    your not the first to have this problem, it might not be the clutch, not sure if yours has a dual mass flywheel (elvz will know) but if it has it might be the problem
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

I've never seen an '89 Surf with a dual mass flywheel. All the ones I've owned have had the small solid flywheel

Comment

OK, advice needed again! (and excuse my make spellings!)

My surf is booked in Friday for it's clutch, but just been having a chat with the mechanic and reading a few of the other threads on clutch trouble and now I'm stumped!

- clutch "kit" prices vary wildly from £76 at Milner (for Daykin/Acin?), £133 (Sax?) or £260 (ADL) from local supplier.
        - do I or don't I replace the flywheel as well.

So, different makes? Anyone know the score on the pros and cons, seems to be a wild variation in price to me.
        And, the flywheel issue - am I best off taking the get it anyway route (another £190) to reduce the risk of either a delay because one is needed once it's stripped down, or it going again in the future?

Sorry for the dumb questions, my mechanical knowledge is not exactly very clever!

Geoff.

Comment

Iff it aint broke dont fix it
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

So, different makes? Anyone know the score on the pros and cons, seems to be a wild variation in price to me.

fit a borg & beck clutch
            [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
            [size=5][/size]
            [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

"And, the flywheel issue - am I best off taking the get it anyway route (another £190) to reduce the risk of either a delay because one is needed once it's stripped down, or it going again in the future?"

If it is a solid Flywheel it may only need machining if the face is a little rough.Just check the ring gear while it's off.

Neville

Comment

"And, the flywheel issue - am I best off taking the get it anyway route (another £190) to reduce the risk of either a delay because one is needed once it's stripped down, or it going again in the future?"

When you're changing the clutch you should change the pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft (about £6.00) and it's a good idea to fit a new rear crankshaft oil seal as well (another £5.00)

If you want to be 100% sure you could ask Milners if they'd do you "Sale or Return" on the flywheel. I have no idea if they'd accept this but it's a common arrangement in these circumstances.

To fit a new flywheel you'd also need a set of new flywheel bolts which is another £12.00 +VAT So altogether you'd be spending £190.00 + £12.00 + £35.75 VAT = £237.75 If you didn't need the Flywheel etc and sent them back you'd be paying just under £50 in carriage and restocking charges.

Comment

cheers for the help. Decided in the end to get the Sachs (I learnt to spell) clutch kit and not get the flywheel, hoping it's OK or as NiftyNev says may just need a little machining. It goes in tomorrow so fingers crossed.

- weird - a colleague phoned a local supplier (who "will be the cheapest" as everyone says!) and when they got back they reckoned my reg comes up as a 2.4 naturally aspirated engine and not a turbo..... odd.

Geoff.

Comment

does that mean you will make it for the GREAT MOOR ROMP
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Working...
                    X