Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thirst for oil. Turbo seals?

Hello again.

My Surf seems to have developed quite a thirst for oil. I'm having to top it up regularly to read near full on the dip-stick, and there are no obvious signs of a leak. Having done a search it would seem that the turbo, and or seals are the likely culprits. Here is where I am confused. Are the seals avaliable as a kit to be replaced, or are they integral to the actual turbo unit that will have to be sent away for a recon job? The turbo itself seems to be working. I hear the whistle, see the light and seem to get a boost.

Any help, theories or advice appreciated.

Cheers

Simon

Originally posted by super8simon
    Hello again.

My Surf seems to have developed quite a thirst for oil. I'm having to top it up regularly to read near full on the dip-stick, and there are no obvious signs of a leak. Having done a search it would seem that the turbo, and or seals are the likely culprits. Here is where I am confused. Are the seals avaliable as a kit to be replaced, or are they integral to the actual turbo unit that will have to be sent away for a recon job? The turbo itself seems to be working. I hear the whistle, see the light and seem to get a boost.

Cheers

Simon
    You need to get it professionally repaired, it has to be balanced once the seals are replaced. Turbo Technics is the place.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by super8simon
      Hello again.

Cheers

Simon
      Go to the turbotechnics website, they have a good turbo troubleshooting guide, which may help diagnose the problem. It's highly unlikely that you could service a turbo yourself, the balance is important as they spin fast. One of the signs of a knackered turbo is blue smoke at idle. Also, i'm not sure that you should have a whistle; it ususally indicates an air leak, not a noise that you are supposed to hear. If you have an air leak it might be causing the turbo to 'overboost' since if there's little pressure in the manifold it will tend to spin faster to make it up. That may lead to leakage of the oil seal in it. The presence of oil on the inside of your air filter is another sign of turbo oil leakage; and there are other places such as the turbo to inlet pipe.

Good luck

Comment

to test the oil seals in the turbo leave it idleing for a while then then rev it up some... if you see puffs of blue smoke that eventually disappear the seals have probably had it... you should also notice blue smoke when you fire it up in the morning.

best solution is to get a recon turbo from turbo technics
        [FONT=Trebuchet MS][B][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4TD[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
        X