3rd Gen Rear Brakes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Gen Rear Brakes...

Hi I was waiting for the mechanic to come and show me/clean my rear drums out as they are full of off-road muck. He has told me not to attempt to do them myself as too complicated.

Basically the self adjusters stopped working at woodlands about a month after a service and left it with no proper working handbrake, not an issue as it's an auto. but... now the brake light keeps coming on with acceleration (fluid level light) and the pedal is getting really close to the floor...I have been using it for a week or so instead of my normal car due to the weather.
    Last time this happened was just before Sept. service, exact symptoms and that was just mud and sand in the adjusters apparently.

So Q. is there anyone near Farnham, Surrey prepared to come round and do it/show me for next time if within my capabilities in return for fuel and beer tokens?

Worried about it as I drive my kids in it.

Thank you,

Gary.
    Last edited by Smego2; 11 February 2009, 21:04.
    Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
    bear tokens?

Comment

Originally posted by biosurf View Post
      [IMG]
      ha ha ;-)

Comment

Can anyone get hold of TonyN he PM-ed me on this and I have repied but although he has read it he hasn't replied or given me contact details...No one else has been able to offer me help.
        Guess if not I will just have to put the truck into a local garage and hope for the best (if I can afford it).

Thanks.

Comment

If its any help mate, i did mine a few weeks back but mine were not full of crap, they were just sticking.

It was an easy fix really, all i did was jack up the back end with handbrake off.

Then slide the drums off, you may need to give them a tap to free them up.

Once they are off you can get to everything easily, i used a stiff brush to clean them out.

If the ajusters are sticking all you do is peal back the rubber behind the hub & spray lub inside while pulling the arm back & forth, you can also spray it through the front, "make sure you wipe the shoes down after".

Please note;
          you may have to spin the self ajusting wheel back a few turns to enable you to get the drums back on, once back together give the hand brake a couple of tugs & it should be fine.
          Last edited by si tate; 17 February 2009, 17:35.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Well as Tony has never replied to me and with the confidence Si-tate gave me I had a go the other week and he is right!

took it all apart and gave it a clean, the left one had brake fluid all over it?
            Looks like something has a small leak or do they leak slowly when they get jammed??

Discovered you must not pull on the handbrake with the covers off....(!) OOPS!

But got to practise on the self adjusters so know how to wind in now!

handbrake was still poor after refitting but now the truck emergency brakes in a straight line and well, since using it a bit the handbrake is now starting to work so sounds like it just needed time to bed in despite about 50 pulls.

A big thank you to SI-TATE for his confidence building post

Comment

Well as Tony has never replied to me and with the confidence Si-tate gave me I had a go the other week and he is right!

took it all apart and gave it a clean, the left one had brake fluid all over it?
              Looks like something has a small leak or do they leak slowly when they get jammed??

handbrake was still poor after refitting but now the truck emergency brakes in a straight line and well, since using it a bit the handbrake is now starting to work so sounds like it just needed time to bed in despite about 50 pulls.

If you have a fluid leak it needs to be attended to. It wont go away. Its probably a seal in the cylinder, but it definitely needs replacing, fixing and as SOON as you can. in fact before you drive any further

Bogus
              Сви можемо

Comment

....Well as Tony has never replied to me ................
                Sorry, i forgot you...
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

No worries mate, but like bogus says get the leak sorted asap, it sounds like the cylinder, piece of pi$$ to do so please don't put it off.
                  If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
                  X