Chasis bracket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasis bracket

I was driving down the road the other day, luckily just quite slowly about 30mph at a guess as i have no speedo. I though i had suffered a blow out as the truck dropped on the drivers side and pulled over to the right, i had to steer quite sharplu left to avoid the oncoming double decker bus. I pulled over and got out to check my tyre to find it fully inflated and the truck jus leaning slightly to the right. On inspection i saw that the top wishbone has torn out of the bracket this bracket is welded to the chasis and also holds the shock and engine mount i think. My question is ......Can these bracket be brought or is it a cut off a donar chasis and weld onto mine sort of job? Pictures to follow in bout half an hour once ive installed the phones software.
    many thanx yet agen
    Surfin on the tidal waves of mud!

photos

4 pics of the damage
    Attached Files

Comment

Scrap it and buy another one, you'll never fix that properly.

There's an old crack there that's opened up and caused the failure, there may be others lurking.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post

There's an old crack there that's opened up and caused the failure, there may be others lurking.
        the bit of metal that split isnt gunna be left on, its being cut off at the welds and a replacement welded on. ive just spent hours welding on the back end so i really wouldnt want to scrap it after the work its had done now.

Comment

assuming the other side is ok,if you eally want to replace,check out all the dimensions,tack a new piece on and check and check and checkagain.once your happy with it being in the right place,weld it up...but im pretty sure you would need it in a jig to get it spot on
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            I agree. A vehicle with that sort of chassis damage should not be allowed on the road. It's downright dangerous.

Originally posted by YoungOffroader View Post
            ive just spent hours welding on the back end
            Sounds like the thing is a deadly piece of junk.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
              I agree. A vehicle with that sort of chassis damage should not be allowed on the road. It's downright dangerous.

Sounds like the thing is a deadly piece of junk.

Nev
              Another one bites the dust, hey Nev !!!!

There's always a Payback .... Just don't expect a Warning !!!!
              Buncefield Burner

Comment

Im with the rest mate.

You'll almost never get it fixed right.

Hunt for a cheap one an just move the mods over mate.

Also what the hell were you welding on the back!?

Comment

Thats a pretty serious failure to 'just happen' driving along the road.
                  As said before, there would have been a crack there already that decided enough was enough and failed. If you are a fully trained and experienced fabricator and welder and have access to alignment jigs then go for the repair. If not then weigh it in for your own safety.
                  Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

or if you really want to keep it then SAS it!
                    Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Update

The welding on the back was fabricating a new tow bar setup so i can adjust the hieght and position of the tow bar, the truck tows a straw loading trailer round fields some days and its easier if the trailer is offset from the vehicle.

The person welding the truck is a fully qualified welder who works for an arc welding company and is very confident he can do the job and he even removed the bracket from a breaker today.

The two local garages have both told me today they wouldnt see a reason as to why it wouldnt be safe still if this piece is replaced and believe it is due to the torsion bars being wound right up.

Comment

Working...
                      X