Gen II Rear Bumper Removal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen II Rear Bumper Removal.

So after someone ran into the back of me, knocked my bumper under the car, demolished their car, had a good laugh with the insurance estimator at how much he thought my car was worth, and the £1800 quote that the garage had given him to put on a new bumper..... I agreed to take a cash lump sum off them to buy a new bumper set and put it on myself. That way, I get a new bumper, and they don't write off my car.

I need to replace the rear section, and the two corner sections. Rough Trax have the parts, anyone got any advice/ tricks worth passing on, from doing this before. Looks fairly straightforward, just a load of bolts to WD40.

yeah have some spare bolts ready and get ready to drill the snapped ones out as you will snap off one or two
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

I echo that, when I changed mine only 1 original bolt remains, a supply of 8mm drills, bolts, nuts, spring washers and washers will be usefull and ordinary plated metric are cheaper than the smaller headed Toyota equivalents - just need a different spanner! found it was a bit aquard to line everything up but assembled first with all bolts loose bolted ub the brackets on the centre section then adjusted the corners and tightened it all up, then clipped in the step rubber.
      If I were you I would heavilly coat all the inner surfaces with stonechip/waxoil ect before fitting when you see the inner of the old one you will realise why!!
      Did I mention I have a BLUE one
      Tony

Comment

i would take the complete bumper off with the brackets attached then take the bumper off of the brackets.I do it this way on the breakers and find it so much easier.Plus its easier i think when re-fitting the bumper after to fit the brackets to the bumper then the whole lot to the truck
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Thanks for all the information above. I followed your advice and took the bumper off complete, still on the hangers. It was a lot easier that way, and I managed to get all the nuts out without shearing any.

Just need to straighten one of the hangers, and then look out for a new bumper set.

Anyone got a second hand set in reasonable condition for sale?

Comment

Heres an Exploded diagram
            Attached Files
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Wow! Many thanks for that.

I kept the old bumper semi- assembled so I've got something to refer back to, but this will make things a whole lot easier.

Comment

Still waiting for the cheques to clear from the Insurance Company. The first ones they sent were made out to Kim Ellison. Nicely done.

As I've got an MOT pending, does anyone know if having no rear bumper would be an MOT fail? I can only think it would get tugged on protruding sharp bits beyond the bodywork of the car (none), or the risk of stones flicking up from the rear tyres where there is no mudflaps. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Comment

Originally posted by Shropshire Tim View Post
                  Still waiting for the cheques to clear from the Insurance Company. The first ones they sent were made out to Kim Ellison. Nicely done.

As I've got an MOT pending, does anyone know if having no rear bumper would be an MOT fail? I can only think it would get tugged on protruding sharp bits beyond the bodywork of the car (none), or the risk of stones flicking up from the rear tyres where there is no mudflaps. Anyone got any thoughts on this?
                  You should be fine.

Your right about the sharp bits. behind the bumper is just ugly, not sharp.

I had no rear mudflaps on for a while an passed an MOT with none on. So you'll be fine mate.

Comment

You should be fine Moting without a bumper. Mine sailed through last year, I just needed to rig up the fog light so it faced rearward.
                    Last edited by Maverick; 13 January 2009, 17:33. Reason: forgot that we had started a new year. I'm tired and not thinking right.
                    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

u need a chrome or a grey bumper?
                      I have a grey one in pretty good condition if u interested make me an offer see this thread http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=52048
                      One day at the time I guess..

Comment

Working...
                      X