Who's toyota v8 here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's toyota v8 here?

Hi everyone i know a few people have done the toyota/lexus v8 now so who are ya?

I would like some advise about doing this in mine as i have my eye on a couple of cars that have also got lpg fitted so was thinking of fitting the 4ltr v8 in my surf along with the lpg stuff should give me a very capable tow car,which also returns excellent mpg,i did think of going down the veg oil route but when i cover cica 600-1000miles doing a track day i wont have nowahere to refil whereas most garages now do lpg.

So with regards to engine/gearbox mounts plumbing and electrical how much fabrication is involved? and if someone has any links to sites or info that would be great.

Cheers rob

Originally posted by Robmatthews View Post
    Hi everyone i know a few people have done the toyota/lexus v8 now so who are ya?

I would like some advise about doing this in mine as i have my eye on a couple of cars that have also got lpg fitted so was thinking of fitting the 4ltr v8 in my surf along with the lpg stuff should give me a very capable tow car,which also returns excellent mpg,i did think of going down the veg oil route but when i cover cica 600-1000miles doing a track day i wont have nowahere to refil whereas most garages now do lpg.

So with regards to engine/gearbox mounts plumbing and electrical how much fabrication is involved? and if someone has any links to sites or info that would be great.

Cheers rob
    hi matey, you need to speak to bushwhacker
    http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=49955
    http://www.4wdlinks.com.au/albums/al...V8_4Runner.avi
    Last edited by si tate; 1 November 2008, 00:55.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

bump,bushwaker....did you do a build thread?anyone know of any info out there?

Cheers rob

Comment

Thanks for the links si tate and thanks to replying to my email bushwaker-I was up untill 2am cause i could not stop thinking i'll read one more page,then another,then another
        One question is you need the 2"lift to get enough room for the standard exhaust manifolds?is there a way round it as i wanted to leave my truck standard looking,so what do they hit?

Cheers rob

Comment

The bodylift is needed to get the V8 back far enough to be able to get the radiator in. It can be done without a bodylift but you'll need to get a custom rad built.
          I used the Lexus transmission, less faf.

Comment

spank me for asking dumb questions.

sooo used the engine and gearbox from the lexus and bolted the transfer box on to that to keep the 4x4?

i have not yet ventured under my truck to have a look see whats there lol

Comment

Originally posted by Robmatthews View Post
              spank me for asking dumb questions.

sooo used the engine and gearbox from the lexus and bolted the transfer box on to that to keep the 4x4?

i have not yet ventured under my truck to have a look see whats there lol
              Correct.
              Remove the end cover from the Lexus transmission, and the shape/bolt pattern is exactly the same as the Surf's transfer case. you just need to trim about 50mm off the end of the output shaft.

Comment

i've been thinking about this all week whilst working away(i've had no internet access) i will sharpen my rusty hacksaw blade

dont suppose you have any pics of the shortening of the shaft and attaching the transferbox?

is the shaft just splinned?and you littery cut some off then?
                soooo the position of the transferbox remains in the standard position meaning the gearbox and engine position is governed by that?
                cheers rob
                Last edited by Robmatthews; 7 November 2008, 20:45.

Comment

Here...
                  http://lextreme.com/forums/showthrea...t=output+shaft

It also shows the drilling and tapping of an extra bolt hole, I didn't bother doing that.

Comment

Working...
                  X