Anyone fitted a Toyota 5 speed box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone fitted a Toyota 5 speed box?

Mark Tony? I need to know if you used the Surf crossmember or the pick up?
    The pickup gearbox is 2 1/2 inches shorter than the surf, but the rover engine is 2 1/2 inches longer than the 2.4 so the overall length is the same. I have no sump issues as I have a 4" superlift and can mount the engine slighty further back as I have 6" body lift. I have not offered the box into place yet and have both the crossmembers. I just wondered which to use.
    Cheers Steve.
    monstercreations.org.uk

Originally posted by Phantom 18 View Post
    Mark Tony? I need to know if you used the Surf crossmember or the pick up?
    The pickup gearbox is 2 1/2 inches shorter than the surf, but the rover engine is 2 1/2 inches longer than the 2.4 so the overall length is the same. I have no sump issues as I have a 4" superlift and can mount the engine slighty further back as I have 6" body lift. I have not offered the box into place yet and have both the crossmembers. I just wondered which to use.
    Cheers Steve.
    sorry mate cant help you there,i made my own x member,because i was using the sd1 box.can you not mount the box to the engine and see where the x member fits.???
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

The Surf gearbox is stronger then the pick up gearbox , but as far as I know from Tony the conversion bellhousing does not fit the Surf gearbox . I would go for the pickup gearbox for 2 reasons . The conversion kit will fit and the engine will clear the rad better.
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
        sorry mate cant help you there,i made my own x member,because i was using the sd1 box.can you not mount the box to the engine and see where the x member fits.???
        Thanks Mark I could mount them both together but even with the truck on the training wheels I would never get them in together, unless I had a crane. I think I am going to lift the box under with a fork lift bolt the prop on then offer up the x members and see which will require the least amount of alterations. The manual box is 2 1/2 inches shorter but the rover engine is 2 1/2 inches longer so the overall length is the same. The only differance being is the join where engine meets gearbox will be 2 1/2 inches back, but I think this will be ok with the 6" body lift. I'll let you know how I get on.
        Steve.
        monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
          The Surf gearbox is stronger then the pick up gearbox , but as far as I know from Tony the conversion bellhousing does not fit the Surf gearbox . I would go for the pickup gearbox for 2 reasons . The conversion kit will fit and the engine will clear the rad better.
          I allready have the kit to bolt them both together but wanted to convert to manual anyway. I think I will be ok for rad clearance as the overall length is the same, if not I will play the joker card and fit my short nose buick water pump.
          monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom 18 View Post
            I allready have the kit to bolt them both together but wanted to convert to manual anyway. I think I will be ok for rad clearance as the overall length is the same, if not I will play the joker card and fit my short nose buick water pump.
            If I remember you will need to fit the short nose pump anyway .
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
              Mark I remember reading somewhere you saying don't fit the engine tilting back as you will starve the front cam journal of oil. Surely the engine will sit wherever it wants when bolted to the gearbox. To tilt the enging back or forth will require the gearbox moving up and down. Or am I missing something here
              Steve.
              monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Working...
              X