Automatic Transmision Fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Transmision Fluid

Please can someone tell me how much fluid to put in? I need to top up because the truck was 'jumping'. I have found the dip stick thing and have topped up with some ATF, this has made it better but don't want to overfill cos I guess this is as bad as having too little. The jumping problem stopped but started again a little bit, so I put a bit more in. Could this mean that I may have a leak or does it take quite a bit fluid to top up.

I have found out that you run the vehicle for a while and then take a reading.

Thanks....... I have just inherited this truck and love it, it's so much fun! But, it's not like running a car!!!!!

Gina

Just check the ATF level with the engine running. If it's correct, its correct. If it's dropping, and you dont see any leaks, I believe it can leak through the cooler into the engine coolant.

Could be that the ATF is knackered and needs replacing, or that the problem lies elsewhere. What do you mean by 'jumping'?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Apache is right, another common problem is that the ATF cooler leaks into the radiator- just check rad level and for oil.
      Also, yes run engine while checking ATF level- just like checking engine oil.
      If no history of ATF change known, just drain it and renew to rule out burnt fluid.

Comment

Originally posted by charliemuttley View Post
        Apache is right, another common problem is that the ATF cooler leaks into the radiator- just check rad level and for oil.
        Also, yes run engine while checking ATF level- just like checking engine oil.
        If no history of ATF change known, just drain it and renew to rule out burnt fluid.

you should never check the engine oil level while the engine is running. you will ALWAYS get a full sump of oil according to the stick, unless your sump is totaly empty... check engine oil while cold or after the engine has bin sitting for about 5 mins

Comment

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the info guys. I did have a problem on way to the Lakes this weekend. After around 130 miles there seemed to be ... well not smoke but something spraying out from the back and sides. I stopped at the services and after gone off for coffee came back there was a puddle and some dripping from underneath which could have been a mixture of ATF and water. So this figures with what you say about ATF leaking into the rad. I did carry on and it did happen again. This time when I stopped there was an almighty gurgling noise I checked the rad. level, that was ok. But again was the puddle. I drove to the camp site left it for a couple of days. Checked all before I set off home.
          I drove it home (180 miles) and no problems!!!
          Anyway the leaking has stopped and the rad level ok. The ATF very slightly on the low side, will top it up and see.
          Thanks for the support. I'm learning as I go along. I don't want to give in and sell it just cos I'm a girl. Cheers Gina

Comment

gina, if i were you, i would be getting under the truck and working out just where that leak is comming from. the last thing you want is for water and ATF to start mixing inside the autobox. and the 2nd last thing you want is for a minor leak of ATF to sudenly burst into a major leak and you sudenly have an empty box...

actualy, i think i may have those around the wrong way in order of badness... id much rather abit of water than no ATF. but either way, start looking.

Comment

Thanks Macca, I will have to steel myself and get under there! Not the sort of thing I'm used to doing but possibly capable of doing. Things seem to have settled down and no dripping. (One of my friends suggested water releasing from the air con).

The 'jumping' is still happening it's when you come to a halt the gear is slow to go into 1st then all of a sudden the gear goes in and then I'm away....... It doesn't happen in any other gear.

Thanks so much for your support.

Gina.

Comment

Just so we're clear, it is an automatic, right?

Comment

Automatic

Hi there, it is an automatic.... thanks for asking. Cheers Gina.

Comment

OK, the 'jumping' you describe, does it feel like it's coming from the rear of the truck?
                    Also, when you pull out the transmission dipstick and give it a wipe, is it a red wine colour or brown and frothy?

Comment

Atf

Hi, It is red wine colour.... and the jumping seems like it's coming from the front. the gear box... Very occasionally happens in reverse gear. Today tho, it seems ok..... and it is performing beautifully!! Really, thanks for taking the time to help out... Much appreciated Gina.

Comment

Working...
                      X