Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window runners

I've a LN130 J reg Surf.

I've followed all the advice about getting the rear window out and that's been a great help. I can now see what the problem is with the window not coming up: the runners at the lowest edge of the glass are horribly corroded and one side of the regulator was out of the groove because the groove no longer exists!

I've searched the internet, but can't shed any light on getting replacement runners or whatever they're called. This must be an obvious thing to source! Help!

Any clever ideas of how to get the old corroded ones off the glass without breaking the glass?

Thanks

I have replaced them on my 1st gen and sold some to someone for the 2nd gens so have had a bit of experience with them . Toyota only part .Cost about £50 for the pair . You need to remove the tailgate trim and then remove the window reg and motor off the mounting bolts to the tailgate so you can slide the assembley side ways to release the runners from regulator . Once the window is out remove the old runners and rubbers from glass carefully . Replacing the runners is a brown trousers excercise which I will not be responsable for telling you how to do it , just be careful fitting the new runners to glass or you will have a million piece jigsaw !!
    Then refit window and reg as you removed .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

all i do is have a clothe on the window and tap hard on the runners with a hammer working along each runner till they come off.I may have a couple of decent 2nd hand ones here and if not i got another breaker coming next week.If i got the runners here i'll do them £15 delivered
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

About 18 months a go I replaced my rear widow runners, after removing the Window Glass I prized the runner (gently) from the window with a wide bladed screwdriver with no problems...

To replace the new runners I stood the window on some wood upside down, I spayed the runners n rubbers n gently but firmly tapped the runners until they were fully home... Job was a good en !!!

There's always a Payback .... Ya won't ever see it Comin tho !!!!
        Buncefield Burner

Comment

when i took my rear window out the other week,the reg arms came that far forward,the drivers side went right round and back in side again,now that was fun!

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            all i do is have a clothe on the window and tap hard on the runners with a hammer working along each runner till they come off.I may have a couple of decent 2nd hand ones here and if not i got another breaker coming next week.If i got the runners here i'll do them £15 delivered
            I would remove them as richard says, and try and lube them up as much as possible to make it a bit easier to knock off.

Refitting is just the opposite of removal, just make sure you have something to cushion the glass when you are knocking the channels back on, and also lube the channel and rubber up again to aid refitment

Comment

All done! Whoppee

Thanks for all the advice. Thought I'd give an update.

I got new runners/channels from a Toyota dealer for £22 delivered! I forgot to order new rubber bits, so couldn't be bothered to re-order as it had taken several days for the runners to come in and re-cycled the old ones. I managed to prise off the corroded ones by peeling back the rusty edges and then gently prising off (after banging it with a wooden drift and rubber mallet, I might add!).
              Putting the new ones on was definitely a brown trouser job. I cushioned the glass and gently knocked the new runners on. Oh, I lubed everything up with silicone spray to begin with. After much "fun", they went on a treat. The only problem I had was that I fixed the regulator in place before slotting it into the window runners. Duh. Once you know how, its soo easy.........

Comment

Working...
              X