Manual hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual hubs

my surf is likley going to be doing mostly on road work (bit of towing etc), how much is it worth retro-fitting manual locking hubs to improve fuel economy/wear when running in 2WD?

...and approx how much will it be (parts only, i can do the work myself) to convert?
    [I][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]

I fitted manual hubs to my 2.4 recently and I reckon they've improved the fuel consumption by around 1 to 2mpg. I fitted them mainly to save wear on the cv's.

Fitting them is dead easy if you're reasonably useful with a spanner - mine cost me around £50 (2nd hand Aisins - Toyota original fitment). Ones from pickups can be picked up from scrap yards but they have to come from an independent front suspension truck (not solid axle).

Failing that I think someone on here fitted some new ones from Milners (AVM?). They may have some input.
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

£164 manual £199 automatic
      Both plus Vat
      www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dexter
        my surf is likley going to be doing mostly on road work (bit of towing etc), how much is it worth retro-fitting manual locking hubs to improve fuel economy/wear when running in 2WD?

...and approx how much will it be (parts only, i can do the work myself) to convert?
        I fitted a pair AVM's bought from Milners recently, easy to fit & only £50
        each new, the quality is pretty good, a lot better than I was led to believe!

But aisins should be the first choice, I just couldn't find any!!
        www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

Originally posted by sammy
          £164 manual £199 automatic
          Both plus Vat
          www.4x4accessoriesandtyres.com
          I have heard the automatics hubs are unreliable, If you need auto hubs I would stick with the ADD system as standard.
          www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

thanks everyone! i've been browsing Milners website a few times, i think i might have to make a trip there, i'm in Macclesfield so Matlock is just over the hills...

i can spanner (or "bearding" as i call it), done engine swaps on MR2s and i'm 1/2 way through rebuilding a 4A-GZE engine...
            [I][B][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]1993 SSR-X 2.4[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/I]

Comment

Working...
            X