Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where has all the power gone?

Hi to everyone.
    This is my first posting on what is a first rate site.

A few months ago I bought 1993 3.0 TD SSR-X (auto) as a second vehicle - a workhorse - it’s been superb and an absolute pleasure to drive.

But now there is a problem…

After a fuel stop on the M42 late one night the engine check light flickered on when I pulled away from the pumps. It went off and stayed off. A good few miles later I lost power when under acceleration. It would go to 60mph then die with the engine light back on. Foot off the gas pedal, coast for bit and the power would return. Soon as I hit 60 the same thing would happen. Then it began to happen at 40. I limped off the motorway and got home using the RAC. (No hard shoulder, no overhead lights on this stretch – too risky breaking down here)! RAC man couldn’t find any problems.

For 2 weeks the vehicle has been OKish with only the odd hiccup. But now it is getting worse. Some things I’ve noticed in the past fortnight, which may or may not be clues:

The symptoms get worse as the fuel tank approaches empty.
    Always bad after a re-fuel for a few miles, then gradually improves.
    Used to be an instant starter, but now it takes some cranking.
    There used to be a sort of whirring/ticking noise near the glove box area, as is something was re-setting itself whenever I turned the engine off. This doesn’t happen anymore.

I have drained the fuel filter and disconnected the batteries but no improvement. Thought it might be worth asking to see if anyone has had a similar problem or can advise on next move.

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris n welcome to the worlds best Forum... ya might try replacing the fuel filter (with a new one) n fill the filter with some ATF or Redex Diesel Injector cleaner...
    A cheap staart Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Ya won't never ever see it Comin !!!!
    Buncefield Burner

Comment

Had a similar problem with a Transit van several years ago. Turned out to be some kind of crud in the bottom of the tank which was being stirred up when the tank was filled then sucked against the outlet under acceleration.

It might also be worthwhile leaving the filler cap off to see if that makes any difference too. Could well be some sort of vacuum forming in the tank.

AL
      If at first you don't succeed,
      Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Comment

take the fuel feed and return lines off of the filter housing and blow them through using an airline,remove filler cap first.change filter as mentioned.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Hi guys.

Thanks for your suggestions. I must say it does feel like a fuel starvation problem or blockage of some sort. I'll order a new filter and keep you posted. The last one was changed 12,000 miles ago.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

do as stien said,if no joy try ecu for codes,u find how to do that by searching here,my bet would be on the pump

Comment

By the way, any ideas on what the whirring noise I mentioned might be? It seems like too much of a coincidence that since it stopped making the noise after shut-down, the poor starting began. I can't help thinking it may be somehow linked.

Chris

Comment

The "whirring/clicking" noise you describe sounds like the auto radio aerial retracting when you switch off the ignition!!

Comment

Thanks Bowella. The car has had a permantly extended whiplash aerial fitted sometime in the past, but the old aerial motor is still working. Doh! I feel a jerk. I've never had the radio on since the running problems started so I falsely linked them together.

Thanks again

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Chris View Post
                    Thanks Bowella. The car has had a permantly extended whiplash aerial fitted sometime in the past, but the old aerial motor is still working. Doh! I feel a jerk. I've never had the radio on since the running problems started so I falsely linked them together.

Thanks again

Chris
                    Definitely one of those Homer Simpson "DOH" moments!!!

One other thing that might cause it is blocked injectors. Try the suggestion from Diesel Weazel and run some injector cleaner through the system. I found something similar but nowhere near as bad last week when belting my wife's Corsa diesel over to Cardiff. It felt like it was "missing" every so often, which I put down to the injectors being a bit dirty (I hope). Memo to self..put the injector cleaner in the Corsa's fuel tank!!!
                    Mike G

Comment

If the truck has ever been run on veg this can cause the injectors to become clogged, do the redex in a new fuel filter and see how it goes.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Just a quick thank you to everyone who helped - we are back to normal! It appears it was a fuel starvation problem. Gunk in the tank and filter.

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Working...
                        X