MOT Woe. Failed on emissions and smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT Woe. Failed on emissions and smoke

Hi I have an N reg Japanese import for about 2 years and the garage just failed it on producing too much exhaust smoke. Apparently the emissions just scraped through. The garage I took it to said it doesn't have the expertise to fix it.

When the engine idles it is a bit lumpy, purrs along nicely then shudders for a split second as if it is going to stall. I believe this problem started after the hilux stalled in a sea ford. Water went all over the engine. However it started up again and emerged from the sea fine. (This was about a year ago).

So, I am hoping that you can help with a couple of things.

1) Any ideas what the problem could be
    2) Do you know of a good garage in the Southampton area that can fix Japanese imports. I have contacted a few Toyota garages and they also said they only had the mechanical expertise for uk designed Toyotas.

Thanks, Robin.

if it's a diesel it's not subject to an emissions test so the garage are feeding you bull, run the fuel low, then stick 20 litres of vegetable oil straight off the supermarket shelf in the fuel tank and top it up with £15 of diesel, can add a bottle of redex aswell if you want, drive it like you stole it to get it nice and warm then take it back for the retest. Keep the veg reciept for 6 years, it's classed as a tax reciept.

Alternatively Get yourself a new fuel filter and fill it with redex or dexron ATF before fitting.

If it's a petrol engined beast - don't do the above.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

Another Romsey bloke.

What garage did you use mate?!

I always use Romsey restoration. If it helps i can meet you there (or somewhere you know better) an head on up there. They are sound blokes an could get it all sorted out for you.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

I have put half a litre of redex into the tank and am planning to thrash it back from bournemouth on Monday for the MOT retest. Hopefully it will pass, if not I will try Romsey Restoration on Rod's advice. I have been using P&B Romsey but they and all the other garages I have rung have been helpful but not really keen to have a look as it is an import.

So if P&B fail it again I will take it to Romsey Restoration and would be glad of an introduction from you Rod.

Will let you know the outcome on the forum.

Thanks again and quite pleased there's another hilux surf owner in Romsey!

Comment

Originally posted by RobinG View Post
          Thanks for the replies.

I have put half a litre of redex into the tank and am planning to thrash it back from bournemouth on Monday for the MOT retest. Hopefully it will pass, if not I will try Romsey Restoration on Rod's advice. I have been using P&B Romsey but they and all the other garages I have rung have been helpful but not really keen to have a look as it is an import.

So if P&B fail it again I will take it to Romsey Restoration and would be glad of an introduction from you Rod.

Will let you know the outcome on the forum.

Thanks again and quite pleased there's another hilux surf owner in Romsey!
          No worries mate!

my email is :- rodsterman12@hotmail.com

If you want at some point email a telephone number an i'll give you a call if you want to sort out going to Romsey restorations. Or just meet up for a general chat about them!

If you spot my truck you'll know it! Its big an black!

Comment

Good news, it passed. I have another 12 months grace.

However the mechanic basically said I was lucky today and he is certain that there is a bent con rod in there. Somedays it has a slight misfire, somedays is doesn't. Today thankfully it didn't and the smoke was a lot lower.

I will take it over to Romsey restorations and talk to them about it. Mike at P&B suggested MMB diesal injections to give it a test before looking at a possible con rod fix. He also mentioned Mansbridge engineering in Romsey might be able to fix it. Have you heard / had dealings with these other companies?

Thanks, Robin

Comment

Just replied to your email mate.

Comment

Working...
              X