5 speed toyota pickup gearbox fitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed toyota pickup gearbox fitting

Anyone got any pics or details on how to mount one of these in a surf?
    Stein Tony?
    monstercreations.org.uk

Originally posted by Phantom 18 View Post
    Anyone got any pics or details on how to mount one of these in a surf?
    Stein Tony?
    hi mate.yep.what you need to do is to machine the rover flywheel to mount the hilux clutch first.its just a case of re drilling and tapping the pressure plate holes.if you got the conversion kit for the 5speed you should have a new spigot bearing centre too.swap bellhousings over and use the extended clutch slave cylinder bar.the rest is self explanitory.hope that helps mate.just give me a shout if yer stuck and ill try and help as best i can.
    Last edited by surfenstein; 30 September 2008, 19:57.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
      hi mate.yep.what you need to do is to machine the rover flywheel to mount the hilux clutch first.its just a case of re drilling and tapping the pressure plate holes.if you got the conversion kit for the 5speed you should have a new spigot bearing centre too.swap bellhousings over and use the extended clutch slave cylinder bar.the rest is self explanitory.hope that helps mate.just give me a shout if yer stuck and ill try and help as best i can.
      Hi mark I had the 4 speed conversion bell housing and Nigel has had it machined for me and it is now fitted to the 5 speed so the gearbox is ready to mount on the engine I have everything I need to do this.
      What I am unsure of is mounting the box in the truck do I use the surf crossmember or the pickup, or are they the same. Do I mount the box first then then engine or do I bolt them both together and fit the two as one unit?
      Steve.
      monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Hi mark I had the 4 speed conversion bell housing and Nigel has had it machined for me and it is now fitted to the 5 speed so the gearbox is ready to mount on the engine I have everything I need to do this.
        What I am unsure of is mounting the box in the truck do I use the surf crossmember or the pickup, or are they the same. Do I mount the box first then then engine or do I bolt them both together and fit the two as one unit?
        Steve.
        ah right.ok i bolted both units together and fitted them.but i did make my own gearbox xmember,so at a guess you could use the original surf gearbox member and just re jig the mounts,bolt the engine into position first with the box fitted then you can see where the mounts need to go.but they should fall in the same place as the original ones.
        www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
          ah right.ok i bolted both units together and fitted them.but i did make my own gearbox xmember,so at a guess you could use the original surf gearbox member and just re jig the mounts,bolt the engine into position first with the box fitted then you can see where the mounts need to go.but they should fall in the same place as the original ones.
          Arh I see said the blind man. Is that why you cut your slam panel coz you bolted them both together first. The mounts I have for the engine are weld on's thats why I was thinking mount the gearbox first then bolt the engine to the box then tack the mounts on remove the engine then weld the mounts on permanantly then replace the engine. Would this work?
          Steve.
          monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Arh I see said the blind man. Is that why you cut your slam panel coz you bolted them both together first. The mounts I have for the engine are weld on's thats why I was thinking mount the gearbox first then bolt the engine to the box then tack the mounts on remove the engine then weld the mounts on permanantly then replace the engine. Would this work?
            Steve.
            yea that would work.i had to cut the slam panel because i moved the engine a few inches forward from its original position.hence the really short nose pump.just to get a bit more weight over the front axle.if you get my meaning. 350 bhp in a surf that weighs about half its original weight.
            Last edited by surfenstein; 30 September 2008, 21:09.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Ok cool I'll give that a go but its not gonna be for a couple of weeks. I'll give you a shout if I get stuck.
              monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

Working...
              X