Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes smoking on steep descent...

1993 2.4 auto..

Just been up to the Lake District loaded up with camping gear. On the way up a mountain pass (Honister Pass) burnt my gearbox oil, but have a cooler to fit that will hopefully prevent that happening again.

On the way down the other side had to continually brake to stop the surf taking off down the hill, what with no engine braking. Came to a halt to give way to another car and the pedal went spongey and started to roll... Handbrake on and I stopped to be greeted by loads of smoke from both front wheel arches..

Pads were newish - fitted jan with new calipers and fluid etc for mot.

I've just ordered some genuine toyota pads and the roughtrax stainless hose kit.

So is it just that I had pattern pads on or could it be my driving style ? Is there a way to descend without having to use the brakes constantly ? What about grooved / drilled discs ?

Surely a surf should be able to drive down a mountain road with no trouble ?

Cheers,
    Rob.

Try 2nd or 1st. Thats what they're for
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

If you're going below 40mph you can shift into '2' (O/D off) even 'L' if your careful to have some engine braking assistance.

Comment

i drove up a mountain pulling 3ton in Wales when i met up with Vince and i had no trouble stopping going down the other side as i kept pressing and releasing the brake pedal all the way down as well as keeping the truck in low gear.
        I did get the temp right up and the atf light on the dash when i was near enough at the top tho
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          i drove up a mountain pulling 3ton in Wales when i met up with Vince and i had no trouble stopping going down the other side as i kept pressing and releasing the brake pedal all the way down as well as keeping the truck in low gear.
          I did get the temp right up and the atf light on the dash when i was near enough at the top tho
          You fitted an auxillary ATF cooler yet?? What about the under bonnet insulation?

p.s. The fire hydrant is fixed now.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            You fitted an auxillary ATF cooler yet?? What about the under bonnet insulation?

p.s. The fire hydrant is fixed now.
            silly place to put that hydrant post wasn't it lol.
            i have still got to fit the cooler yet as i need to change the atf aswell.I got rid of the bonnet insulation after the rtts
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              Try 2nd or 1st. Thats what they're for

Haha - I put it in 2nd and it started accelerating down the hill so just went back into drive and used brakes. Was doing about 20mph. Will try L next time cheers Guys.

On a better note the temp stayed spot on the whole time so not all bad.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                Haha - I put it in 2nd and it started accelerating down the hill so just went back into drive and used brakes. Was doing about 20mph. Will try L next time cheers Guys.

On a better note the temp stayed spot on the whole time so not all bad.

Rob.

You should have felt the truck slowing and the revs increasing. You didn't touch the accelerator did you??

Comment

No feet on pedals. Went from D to 2 and revs started going up, as did speed. I'm guessing I was in 1st gear as already slow from braking and putting it in 2 actually changed me up a gear ?

Rob.

The gradient was around 20% - 25% if that helps.
                  Last edited by wishbone; 25 September 2008, 21:21.

Comment

I should have been clearer above - I was braking fairly hard in D at about 15 - 20mph , so changed to 2 and took feet off all pedals. The truck started accelerating.

Rob.

Comment

Just had a thought, maybe the LSPV isn't working correctly. Have you done any suspension mods?

Comment

It's got milners 20% uprated springs on the back with 1 1/4" spring spacers. I made a 1 1/4" bracket to adjust the LSPV back up to standard. Procomp +2" gas shocks too. Also extended the rear roll bar drop links 1 1/4" by cutting and sleeving.

Rob.

tbh it seems like I should have put it in 'L' as I was going so slow.

Comment

Stick it in Low 1 on transfer box, we use it for steep hill descents when off roading, feet off and just steer, manuals give much more engine braking than autos though.
                          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
                          X