What Diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Diff?

Probably a daft question, but I cannot find the answer covered already anywhere. With a 2nd Gen Surf, when 4 wheel drive is engaged, do the front and rear diffs lock or is it just the transfer box engaged the front diff, giving effectively 2 wheel drive (1 front, 1 rear). Essentially I guess I am asking if the front and rear diffs are limited slip or free wheeling diffs.

I am intrigued to know just how many wheels do actually drive when you need them.

Also, with the 4 wheel drive turned off and all four wheels jacked up, should I expect turning a rear wheel to cause a front wheel to turn? It doesn't feel like there is any wind up while driving and when you turn the 4 wd on you can feel a difference, but I was expecting it to release the front axle completely.

Originally posted by SoundsDigital View Post
    Probably a daft question, but I cannot find the answer covered already anywhere. With a 2nd Gen Surf, when 4 wheel drive is engaged, do the front and rear diffs lock or is it just the transfer box engaged the front diff, giving effectively 2 wheel drive (1 front, 1 rear). Essentially I guess I am asking if the front and rear diffs are limited slip or free wheeling diffs.

I am intrigued to know just how many wheels do actually drive when you need them.

Also, with the 4 wheel drive turned off and all four wheels jacked up, should I expect turning a rear wheel to cause a front wheel to turn? It doesn't feel like there is any wind up while driving and when you turn the 4 wd on you can feel a difference, but I was expecting it to release the front axle completely.

The ADD system kicks in to enable the front wheels to give you 4 wheel drive (however there are no locking diffs). If you go cross-axle (ie one front and one bopposite back wheel off the ground - you will go nowhere!)
    search for 'axle code' or 'lsd' to check for the numbers on the bulkhead plate to see if you have LSD on the back drivetrain only (normall a number ends in 3 or 5).
    The front wheel drive system is not fully 'free wheeling' unless you change to free wheeling hubs.
    Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo View Post
      The ADD system kicks in to enable the front wheels to give you 4 wheel drive (however there are no locking diffs). If you go cross-axle (ie one front and one bopposite back wheel off the ground - you will go nowhere!)
      I think you'll find that lifting any ONE wheel or losing traction at any one whell will stop forward motion - the joys of open diffs. You'll do this before getting cross axle'd.

So, losing traction in mud etc at any wheel will also stop you going forward (or backwards).
      Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
        I think you'll find that lifting any ONE wheel or losing traction at any one whell will stop forward motion - the joys of open diffs. You'll do this before getting cross axle'd.

So, losing traction in mud etc at any wheel will also stop you going forward (or backwards).
        Nah, not with a part time t/case. loosing traction on one axle only renders that axle useless.

Because there is no diff in the t/case, the other axle will still get you through if both its wheels have traction.

It only full time systems like the 3rd gen or a Disco will stop if you lift only one wheel, untill you lock the t/case diff, then you're like a 2nd gen and carry on.

Originally posted by Soundsdigital
        The front prop shouldn't turn in 2wd, you may find there is some drag through the t/case, but holding it should stop it.
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
        X