Big tyres 'n' silly lifts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big tyres 'n' silly lifts...

If i was to buy a set of 33" MT's, would i get away with just a 2" lift or would I need to go higher?

Damian.
    Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

get your surf on the road first mate
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Some say you can, some say you need and 1" or 2 more. Buy them, do it, and we'll all know for sure!

You may find it rubs on the bumper ends at full lock, which is easily cured with a jigsaw, but if they rub on the bulkhead its a tougher job. Or lose a little steering lock by winding the steering stops out a little.

You may struggle to get them on 7" wide rims if they are 12.5 wide, so new rims will be needed
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Now that second one really looks silly!
        Derek :
        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
        [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

That 2nd one looks the nutz....must be on drugs mannnnnn.

Comment

You can probably put 33" tyres on a Surf with just a 2" body lift and a few slight modifications to the front arches, but you can't take it off-road like that.

There are quite a lot of different factors that you have to take into consideration. Firstly 12.50 wide tyres need at least 8" rims and the offset on the extra width of these is going to determine where the tyre is in relation to the bodywork.

Secondly, most of the problems you are likely to have with bigger tyres are going to happen when the suspension is fully compressed and/or the steering is on full lock so the more suspension travel you have (good) the more body lift youre going to need (bad). I have the feeling that the extra height you gain from a suspension lift with proper long travel dampers is mostly going to be cancelled out by the extra suspension movement off road.

My Hilux pickup stands about 6" taller on it's 33" tyres than a standard one and yet in some circumstances the tyres still touch back of the front arches. For me this is as good as its going to get as I can't afford to sacrifice any more braking and cornering stability by lifting it higher.

Comment

Cheers guys, think I'll stick to some 10.50's instead and find some nice std alloys off ebay.

Damian
              Damian

http://www.themudlife.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X