Viscous Fan Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viscous Fan Oil

Anyone got any idea what Oil to put in my fan's viscous coupling? The Ausie site says to use 08816-10001, but that's not available in the UK and I don't want to use the OEM oil as it's too thin.

Not mad keen on locking it up completely either, unless someone can convince me otherwise that is!
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Bump!

Has anyone even overhauled their fan, or is stuffing it with silicone the only way forward?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      Bump!

Has anyone even overhauled their fan, or is stuffing it with silicone the only way forward?
      I ripped the guts out of mine and bolted the two halves together. It was fine for nearly three years until I changed engines. It's still in the garage collecting dust.

I thing fluid is available from model shops. (Thats real shops selling models not a model of a shop. By models I mean planes, trains, cars etc, not skinny wimmin.)

Comment

Bump!

i think thats the only way to do it
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I'd like to have a go at repairing mine, never repaired a viscous fan before. After all, it used to work?

Comment

I'd like to have a go at repairing mine, never repaired a viscous fan before. After all, it used to work?
            http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...1&postcount=10

Comment

Thanks for that Vince. I'm going to go for 10000cSt oil rather than the standard 3000 stuff.

Comment

i remember back in the day,it was the in thing to do with yr opel manta,ie to wind a screw through it,they were v bad for heads too,and it made a lovely noise

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                  i remember back in the day,it was the in thing to do with yr opel manta,ie to wind a screw through it,they were v bad for heads too,and it made a lovely noise
                  That was ok when petrol was 50p a gallon.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Your local Toyota dealer should be able to supply the correct oil. That's where I bought mine from, although it was about £5 for a very small bottle (about 20ml I think) and you need about 50ml to refill it after cleaning out all the old oil.

The part number is probably correct and if it's not in the UK they can order it from the European main stores, at least that's where the local dealer got mine from.
                    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman View Post
                      Your local Toyota dealer should be able to supply the correct oil. That's where I bought mine from, although it was about £5 for a very small bottle (about 20ml I think) and you need about 50ml to refill it after cleaning out all the old oil.

The part number is probably correct and if it's not in the UK they can order it from the European main stores, at least that's where the local dealer got mine from.
                      I don't want to use the standard oil, I want to use 10000cSt oil. Toyota can't supply it in the UK as it's a restricted product. I can buy 50ml of 10000cSt silicone oil from a model shop for about £6.

Comment

Albannach, Have a look at Terry Syd's post on this site, dated 23 February 2008, at 8.53am:
                        http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/v...n+10000#121420
                        It may give a hint that the 6000 fluid may be right for England's range of temperatures, if they are comparable to Canada's - I don't know. I have the 10000 fluid in my car, and it works well for Australia.

Comment

Working...
                        X