Brake Failure!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Failure!!!!

Had a little prob this morn, wondered if anyone has had the same and how they narrowed down the fault process?
    To cut a long one short, my brakes failed today and i narrowly avoided a vauxhall zafira, full of kids on the way to school. After apologising to an irate father i managed to get back home as after pumping the pedal the brakes worked again and continued to fail and work all the way back. Cannot find any spilled brake oil and does'nt seem to be using any from the master cylinder. Can anybody gimme some advice pls????
    I wish it was mine.

is your a late 2.4 with the vac pump on the front of the alternator , If so take the belts off and check for restance as the vac pump may have failed , also check that the vac pipes are all ok ........

If you need a second hand alternator( new after my brakes failed on ther first big wales trip last year) or master clyinder i have both off the breaker
    Last edited by BioHazard; 26 June 2008, 11:26.
    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Does your hand-brake pull a loooong way out? If so you may need to adjust the self adjusters (!).

I did a write up on adjusting them here: http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...236#post409236
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

Oh and check that the wheel clyinders or rear wheel bearings hvent gone and flooded the rear drums with oil

so many probable causes to this one

Comment

Hand brake is fine. Will check cylinders and drums on the back end,
          Cheers fella's.
          I wish it was mine.

Comment

If ya havent already check out he post at the foot of thye Page aswell..
            Seem to recall a few had similar problems last year Boyo was it ?
            Good Luck

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never ever see it Comin !!!!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Have checked just about all that is phisically poss on the brake system(to a basic level of course) can't find a drop of oil or anything wrong at all. No leaks no nothin'. Still gotta check the Vac pump yet though. Biohazard, i'll take up your offer of the Master cylinder, the all important Q.....How much mate?
              I wish it was mine.

Comment

You'll probably find the master cylinder seals are fooked, so the fluid is getting back past the seals as you press the pedal instead of getting pumped down the brake pipes

This is why its not leaking anywhere.

Or the fluid is really old and getting hot/gutless.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

would that mean that they'd work intermitently tonyN? Also put dot 4 brake fluid in, i assume thats ok?
                  Last edited by peterward; 26 June 2008, 17:38.
                  I wish it was mine.

Comment

Originally posted by peterward View Post
                    Have checked just about all that is phisically poss on the brake system(to a basic level of course) can't find a drop of oil or anything wrong at all. No leaks no nothin'. Still gotta check the Vac pump yet though. Biohazard, i'll take up your offer of the Master cylinder, the all important Q.....How much mate?
                    stormys replied to your wanted thread ........if he hasn't got a master clyinder we'll talk

Comment

ok bio, thanx, Pete
                      I wish it was mine.

Comment

Originally posted by peterward View Post
                        ok bio, thanx, Pete
                        Stomy told me to quote ....so hows £30 for the master clyinder

email me on ianwoodzie@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                        X