Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic maintenance

Hello all,

I've just bought a 1992 2.4td surf Japan import, (Awesome beast, my first one) and I need to change the Oil filter and Oil including the air filter. I do not have an owners manual for it.

Where would I be able to get hold of a manual?
    How much Oil does it hold?
    What quality/grade would be best?
    Will standard UK 4Runner parts do the trick or are the basic parts different for imports.
    Where would you recomend I get these parts?
    Will it have a timming belt or chain?
    I have no service history for the beast so what should I check to make sure nothing blows up?

PS would it be safe to allow kwik fit to do the oil and filter change for £18.00?

Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Foxy; 5 April 2004, 12:07.

Originally posted by Foxy
    Hello all,

I've just bought a 1992 2.4td surf Japan import, (Awesome beast, my first one) and I need to change the Oil filter and Oil including the air filter. I do not have an owners manual for it.

Where would I be able to get hold of a manual? Haynes for the 4Runner will cover the majority of your vehicle
    How much Oil does it hold? Approx 1.5 gal
    What quality/grade would be best? The best you can afford, at least semi-synthethic in my opinion
    Will standard UK 4Runner parts do the trick or are the basic parts different for imports. Yes, the basic chassis and body are identical, trim differs, and the 2.4 was never fitted to the UK 4Runner
    Where would you recomend I get these parts? Your choice of local motor factors, Toyota stealerships, or many uk members here reccomend www.milneroffroad.com
    Will it have a timming belt or chain? Belt
    I have no service history for the beast so what should I check to make sure nothing blows up? Read this http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm

PS would it be safe to allow kwik fit to do the oil and filter change for £18.00? Always better to do it yourself if at all possible, at least you'll then know its done properly

Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Morr; 5 April 2004, 13:35.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

4runner filters will not fit a 2.4 surf try www.milneroffroad.com look under LN130 for your parts
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
        4runner filters will not fit a 2.4 surf try www.milneroffroad.com look under LN130 for your parts
        Marky, they are all the same part no, Surf 2.4TD, 3.0TD (4Runner and Surf) and pickup 2.4 '87 on.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Does that mean that you should buy the most expensive oil on the shelf and that will be ok or should you buy the most expensive of a certain grade, don't know much about cars / motors / or oil but used to have one that used 5w/30. If it's synthetic does that mean the 5w/30 etc doesn't apply ?

Comment

Originally posted by JimH
            Does that mean that you should buy the most expensive oil on the shelf and that will be ok or should you buy the most expensive of a certain grade, don't know much about cars / motors / or oil but used to have one that used 5w/30. If it's synthetic does that mean the 5w/30 etc doesn't apply ?

Jim - check this out - it explains just about everything you'd need to know about oil!!

http://www.yotasurf-online.co.uk/pub...howthread.php?

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

each type of oil is graded to run in climate temperatures and the amount of viscosity. If I am correct a semi-synthetic oil such as 10w/40 would be sufficient and relatively priced to operate in our climates and have sufficient viscosity to lubricate
              Gaz

Comment

I use the cheapest possible TURBO DIESEL oil (Car Lube- I think it's about £4.99 per 5L in Asda). The logic being that if you change the oil and filter as often as you should (every 5000km) it's not going to be in there long enough to do any harm before it's changed by a fresh lot. Spend £20 for premium synthetic if you like- but after you've chucked the second or third load away you'll be wondering why you bother paying the extra £15 per 5L.

For the first three oil changes I would also recomend using an engine flush additive to clear out any accumulated sh*t- I don't think KWIK FIT bother with this proceedure.....

Another handy tip- synchronise you oil changes with 100,000 105,000, 110,000 km etc (or whatever your Surf's at). It makes remembering to do it easier!

Nevillef

Comment

also have a BIG bucket or whatever to catch the oil preferably with high sides as it comes out at a significant rate ( still have the stains on my drive )

j

Comment

Working...
                  X