Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space saver wheel

Sorry, me again.

Back to the dodgy salesman.. one of his selling points was the spacesaver spare wheel, he said it was smaller than the others so that you can see out of the rear window while driving / reversing, i'm fine with that, even go as far as to say it seems like a good idea. Just wondering how it would work when i go to drive back home / to the nearest garage. Got visions of driving something that's at the same angle as the titanic just before it sank.

Cheers again. ( be back in a while with another question i expect )

just thought of one, does anyone know where i would be able to one of them electric mirrors that flips out at the back so you can see where you are reversing. Have seen them on the later SSRG models. ( Have trouble reversing a car let alone anything bigger, starting to wonder if i'm cut out for this 4x4 lark )

Cheers

Space saver spare wheel on a Surf ?? Yeah right. Another april fools post.

Comment

Originally posted by JimH
      Sorry, me again.

Back to the dodgy salesman.. one of his selling points was the spacesaver spare wheel, he said it was smaller than the others so that you can see out of the rear window while driving / reversing, i'm fine with that, even go as far as to say it seems like a good idea. Just wondering how it would work when i go to drive back home / to the nearest garage. Got visions of driving something that's at the same angle as the titanic just before it sank.

Cheers again. ( be back in a while with another question i expect )

just thought of one, does anyone know where i would be able to one of them electric mirrors that flips out at the back so you can see where you are reversing. Have seen them on the later SSRG models. ( Have trouble reversing a car let alone anything bigger, starting to wonder if i'm cut out for this 4x4 lark )

Cheers
      The guy is talking out of his 'hole. I had a rear mounted spare on mine, full size. Having a space saver would make absolutely no difference as you have plenty of space above the standard wheel anyway.

With regards to the electric mirrors, doubt if you could fit one easily (not sure if yours is a 2nd or 3rd gen. If it's a 3rd gen then you could probably try and get a complete rear spoiler assembly from the later SSR-G, probably have to get one from Toyota as there aren't many 3rd gens being dismantled yet.

Altern atively you could get one of the fixed reversing mirrors off a Previa / Lucida.

Better still would be to get a reversing camera or buzzer warning system. You can pick these up for a couple of hundred - Hormygollop on this forum might well be able to get them.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
        The guy is talking out of his 'hole. I had a rear mounted spare on mine, full size. Having a space saver would make absolutely no difference as you have plenty of space above the standard wheel anyway.

With regards to the electric mirrors, doubt if you could fit one easily (not sure if yours is a 2nd or 3rd gen. If it's a 3rd gen then you could probably try and get a complete rear spoiler assembly from the later SSR-G, probably have to get one from Toyota as there aren't many 3rd gens being dismantled yet.

Altern atively you could get one of the fixed reversing mirrors off a Previa / Lucida.

Better still would be to get a reversing camera or buzzer warning system. You can pick these up for a couple of hundred - Hormygollop on this forum might well be able to get them.

Cheers
        I wouldn't bother with the "power under" rear mirror. I have one on mine and whilst its of some use, its really not fantastic. Its view is very badly obscured by the rear mounted spare, funny how Toyota only fit it to the SSR-G which is also the only model with the rear mounted spare as standard (most have it fitted as an option anyway), it would probably be excellent if you had the underslung spare.
        As Andy has suggested a reversing camera is a better idea, its something I'm currently looking into myself and would almost certainly be cheaper than getting the rear spoiler from Toyota, or even s/hand. I think Ciaran (Cmar) has already fitted a camera to the rear of his, or at least he was talking about it.
        Did ya do it Ciaran ????
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I fitted the camera to the rear but I had a small problem with the image. My flip out screen does not have a reverse image function, so the picture was mirrored (if that makes sense to you). I must see if I can get an image flip device to fix it. Don't know if one is even available. I do know that some of the newer screen headunits have an image flip setting for exactly this problem.

The previa mirror would probably be the cheapest option. But you can get a screen and camera for about £100.

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
            I fitted the camera to the rear but I had a small problem with the image. My flip out screen does not have a reverse image function, so the picture was mirrored (if that makes sense to you). I must see if I can get an image flip device to fix it. Don't know if one is even available. I do know that some of the newer screen headunits have an image flip setting for exactly this problem.

The previa mirror would probably be the cheapest option. But you can get a screen and camera for about £100.
            some camera's can also be found that have a reverse image facility
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Oh dear another stillborn project.... I bought several of these a few months ago. I was intending to fit them as reversing aids but until Cmar mentioned it I hadn't thought about the reversed image thing....
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Elvz
                Oh dear another stillborn project.... I bought several of these a few months ago. I was intending to fit them as reversing aids but until Cmar mentioned it I hadn't thought about the reversed image thing....
                Look at the screen via a mirror, that should do the trick
                Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                My choice
                Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                  Look at the screen via a mirror, that should do the trick

I was thinking of mounting the camera in an enclosure pointing at 45degrees to a mirror. That would be one way to solve the reversed image...!

Comment

Originally posted by Cmar
                    I was thinking of mounting the camera in an enclosure pointing at 45degrees to a mirror. That would be one way to solve the reversed image...!
                    Would that be a space saving camera!

Comment

thanks for the replies, not to worry about the space saving wheel as the dodgy salesman that i told you about went a step further than even i expected and sold the car 2 days before i was due to pick it up. ( my mistake, his boss sold it while he was off for a day ) nice bloke. Now out looking for another one in met black.

Cheers,

Jim.

Comment

Working...
                      X