Spare wheel carrier question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare wheel carrier question

Hello, i'm hoping to get a bike rack that i'll be able to attach to the back of the surf. I've seen these fellas: http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/nulldet...20Wheel%20Rack and they are held in place by the spare wheels bolts.
    Now according to this thread: http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...highlight=bike the guy had remove the spare wheel support heel. Now my question really is: is it OK to grind that bit off? I'm assuming it must be there for a purpose and I don't want to reduce the integrity of the spare wheel carrier so I thought i'd better check first.
    Or might it be better to try and cut the mounting plate for the bike carrier. I mean you could cut the top of the plate off to make it into a V shape so that the plate fits around the support heel. But then your cutting the mounting plate which also might be a bad idea.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    thanks

Sorry, I can't help with that but UDTrev is selling a rear wheel bike carrier that, as far as I'm aware, doesn't need any such mofifications.

EDIT:
    mofifications
    Or modifications, even

cheers

Chris
    Last edited by corsetts; 20 May 2008, 08:15.
    Signature stolen along with Surf...

Comment

Yep, mine attaches to the spare wheel, it comes with all straps, yours for £45 including postage - it's like this one as sold by Towequipe:

Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Thanks for replying. Ideally I wanted one which had a bracket that would stay o th car all the time, so the bike rack could be easily slid on and off when required.
        If I have no joy in making one fit then I might take a look at yours. Thanks for the offer though

Comment

Not cheap, but a good solution i reckon - http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/Racks/4x4.html

I prefer to use roof mounted carriers but that's just personal preference, and can be a pain in the arse as most of the car parks where we cycle have height bars, so i have to stop outside unload then drive in park up.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

I had a look at the towbar mounted ones, but ideally i'd like to be able to access the boot with the carrier fitted. You can get some that tilt forward but I don't think they'd clear the drop down tailgate on the gen 2.

Thought about roof mounted ones, but then I need to get all the roof bar equipment and then the cycle carrier, and like you say, getting under barriers is then a problem. Plus i'm going on honeymoon in September and we're driving down with bikes attached, and I think having a roof rack and bikes may seriously damage the health of my MPG We'll also have the dogs in the back so the carrier has to go on the spare wheel so the boot can be opened quickly in case of emergency toilet breaks or bouts of travel sickness

Comment

Originally posted by oneidadan View Post
              Thanks for replying. Ideally I wanted one which had a bracket that would stay o th car all the time, so the bike rack could be easily slid on and off when required.
              If I have no joy in making one fit then I might take a look at yours. Thanks for the offer though
              Have a look at this one http://www.formula4.co.uk/products/P...BIKE4&x=57&y=8
              It's shown mounted on the back of a LC but it will fit the Surf with no problems as i have one on mine . No mods required to wheel carrier and held in place between carrier and spare wheel

Comment

That's exactly the kinda thing i'm looking for, thankyou. Does it have different mounting plates for different cars or is it a universal bracket?

Comment

Bracket is universal so should fit most rear mounted spare carriers.

Comment

Working...
                  X