Timing Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing Belt

Been quoted silly prices for changing the timing belt on my 93 3 litre D Surf.
    (Toyota dealer was over £400 as he said they had to remove all the air/con pump, crap me thinks)
    Heard lots of stories on how easy or hard it is to change, I there any simple to follow instructions that I can read up on to do the job, or at least advice my local garage to do the job. Would be very gratful for any help on this subject.
    Regards
    Phil.

Originally posted by Bracpan
    Been quoted silly prices for changing the timing belt on my 93 3 litre D Surf.
    (Toyota dealer was over £400 as he said they had to remove all the air/con pump, crap me thinks)
    Heard lots of stories on how easy or hard it is to change, I there any simple to follow instructions that I can read up on to do the job, or at least advice my local garage to do the job. Would be very gratful for any help on this subject.
    Regards
    Phil.
    I had a garage fit mine cos I couldn't be bothered myself and it cost £120 including new filters (Oil, Air and fuel), radiator flush. I supplied the belt.

The Aircon pump does not need to come off, just be unbolted and tied out of the way.

On a 2.4 the job takes about 1 1/2 hours if you have the right tools and know what you are doing - 2 1/2 -3 hours if it's your first one. Worst job is the crankshaft bolt.

Cheers

Comment

As it's a 3.0 ltr you dont need to remove the A/C pump,just remove the plastic cover two bolts and and the big hex bolt that holds the tensioner in place,should take about 1 hour in total.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
        As it's a 3.0 ltr you dont need to remove the A/C pump,just remove the plastic cover two bolts and and the big hex bolt that holds the tensioner in place,should take about 1 hour in total.
        Andy.

I obviously can't read, thought it was a 2.4 with what they wanted to charge. Nigel and I did one for Tazman and the belt took about 40 minutes, hardest bit was the tensioner but nothing a G clamp couldn't fix.

Can't think how they can justify that amount of money on a 3 litre when it's got to be one of the easiest belts to change on any car going.

Cheers

Comment

It takes me about 40 min to do one,and I have done about 6 in the last year,the tensioner is easy if you have a vice,just make sure that it doesn't come out when doing it as it could take your head off.

Comment

Originally posted by andy
            It takes me about 40 min to do one,and I have done about 6 in the last year,the tensioner is easy if you have a vice,just make sure that it doesn't come out when doing it as it could take your head off.
            Ain't that the truth, strong resistance on the little bu**ers isn't there.

A small allen key makes a good tool for holding them down once you have compressed them.

And that bolt on the top left of the timing cover is a bit hard to get at. Had to take off the idler pulley for the (think it was alternator) belt.

Cheers
            Last edited by lucky; 31 March 2004, 16:03.

Comment

Timing belt

Phil,

Can you let me know how you got off with the timing belt replacement, I live in South Wales also and my surf is due one soon.

Regards
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by taffymark
                Phil,

Can you let me know how you got off with the timing belt replacement, I live in South Wales also and my surf is due one soon.

Regards
                Mark
                Never done one on a BMW 318,so can not advise you.

That's what it say's in your profile.

Comment

Andy,

You'r right, I have got rid of the Beemer and now own a Surf, I just wish I'd done it years ago, I'm used to changing the car more times than I change my socks, this one is staying as the kids, the wife and I love it.

I can also fit shed fulls of rubbish in the boot as I am in the middle of getting a house renovated.

I'd also like to know if there's anymore members living in the South Wales area.

Comment

Working...
                  X