Need a softer ride....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a softer ride....

From what I can make out, my truck has +2" springs on the back as well as 2" spring spacers and ES300 shocks.

The problem is that the ride is very hard and throws you around all over the place. Off-road is even worse as its just not absorbing the bumps.

I'd like to keep the ride height but I really need to soften things up. Can I just fit standard shocks on the front and mantain the ride height?
    For the back I guess I'd need softer +2" coil springs, any recommendations? would I need to change the shock absoeber as well?

Or, would I be better off putting standard springs on the back and accepting a 2" drop or would I then need to drop the front as well?

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by corsetts; 12 May 2008, 13:21.
    Signature stolen along with Surf...

Tough one,

the Roughtrax +2" springs are VERY firm, the LC80 springs are also very firm from what ive heard, the ES3000 is the softest shock made by procomp. Not sure how others compare with softness rating.

What it may be is that the torsion bars being wound are giving the hard ride up front, Check out www.4crawler.com an get some ball joint spacers, back the torsion bars off a bit an you'll maintain the lift with a softer ride.

If they sort it out then bobs your uncle, if not then i dunno, What PSI do you run your tyres at?

Comment

Thanks for that

Tyre pressure is at 36psi, tyres are currently 31X10.5X15 Kumo MT although I'm actually dropping to BF Goodrich AT 30X9.5X15 this week which I guess isn't going to help much with the ride!

I suppose with the smaller tyres I'd be better off losing 2" all round anyway would you think?
      In that case I'd just need to adjust the front torsion bar to lower it which would also soften the front?

The rear is definately hard, its not just the fronts unfortunately. Maybe just some new es300 springs would suffice then and keep the shocks that are on there. Is it likely to be the springs causing the problem rather than the shocks?

Cheers

Chris

Comment

Tyre pressure?

I'm fairly new to this but your tyre pressure sounds very very high.
        31/10.5 15 tyres run at around 30psi and I think most run theirs between 28 and 31.
        You can work out the appropriate pressure for your tyre by using this nice little tip form tonyN's site
        http://www.4x4toys.co.uk/technical.html#techtips

Quote:
        To find the right air pressure to run in your tires on pavement. Find some smooth concrete and wet a section about 3 feet wide by 8 feet long. Over inflate your tires and drive through the water and see how much tire is making contact with the ground by looking at the pattern of water left on the concrete. Air down until the water pattern and your tread width measure the same. Note: front and rear tire pressure may not be the same.

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by corsetts View Post
          Thanks for that

Tyre pressure is at 36psi......................... ....Chris

36??????

That must feel like you've got solid rubber tyres!!!!!!
          No wonder it's a hard ride.

Comment

Thanks for that. They were at that pressure when I bought it from a keen surf owner so I assumed that was right.

I'll drop them down and see how it goes.
            This could be the cheapest mod ever

Cheers

Chris

Comment

run mine arond 31 to 32 anything more and you will feel like your running on solid tyres
              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
              My choice
              Back off

Comment

Tyre pressure is at 36psi, tyres are currently 31X10.5X15 Kumo MT although I'm actually dropping to BF Goodrich AT 30X9.5X15 this week which I guess isn't going to help much with the ride!

I suppose with the smaller tyres I'd be better off losing 2" all round anyway would you think?
                As everyone else has said 36psi is way to much mate.

Why are you downsizing to a 30x9.50?

If i was downsizing to that i would have that 2" kit out in the blink of an eye. you truck will look lost on 30's mate

Comment

Drop down to 30psi.

Also, as you seem to have a 4" lift on the back, make sure your shocks are +4" and not permanently topped out. That will definitely give you the pitching effect - I speak from experience!
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thaks guys

Ok, dropped it to 30 and took it for a run. Its a bit smoother, definately, but it still feels like a go-cart.

Why are you downsizing to a 30x9.50?
                    Well, needs must really. The MT's on there are wearing out quickly which sems a real waste so I advertised for some old rims and got offered some that had the 30 AT's in good condition. I was going to get pure road tyres and keep the muds for off-road but TBH I may as well sell the muds and stick with the AT's.
                    Its a family car first and foremost so I can't go too mad off-road because it still needs to get us to sainsburys once a week
                    When they wear out I'll get some bigger ones, its just what came along at the time but I've had enough of doing motorway miles on mud tyres.

Also, as you seem to have a 4" lift on the back, make sure your shocks are +4" and not permanently topped out. That will definitely give you the pitching effect - I speak from experience!
                    That makes sense, I'll look into that. Is there an easy way too tell?

Cheers

Chris

Comment

i'm not joking, but i think its quite funny. i took my surf for a test run befor i baught it, i did an emergency stop on a dry road, the truck did a little skid and then all four wheels left the ground, only probably about the height of a machbox, but it was like something out of a cartoon bouncing to a stop.

mine are best on--

29 PSI--in the summer
                      31 PSI--in the winter

Comment

Thaks guys

Ok, dropped it to 30 and took it for a run. Its a bit smoother, definately, but it still feels like a go-cart.

Well, needs must really. The MT's on there are wearing out quickly which sems a real waste so I advertised for some old rims and got offered some that had the 30 AT's in good condition. I was going to get pure road tyres and keep the muds for off-road but TBH I may as well sell the muds and stick with the AT's.
                        Its a family car first and foremost so I can't go too mad off-road because it still needs to get us to sainsburys once a week
                        When they wear out I'll get some bigger ones, its just what came along at the time but I've had enough of doing motorway miles on mud tyres.

That makes sense, I'll look into that. Is there an easy way too tell?Cheers

Chris
                        Yep it will feel like a go cart
                        Brian

Comment

That makes sense, I'll look into that. Is there an easy way too tell?

Cheers

Chris
                          Yep. Sit someone in the back, drive over a few speed humps, and if they come out with a cracked skull and a spine reduced to mush then your rear shocks are topped out by too much lift / not enough extension.

Been there!
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

PMSL, cool, thanks

It sounds as if thats the problem then.

The plan is to remove the spacers on the rear springs to drop it by 2" on the back and free up some shock travel.

Then, drop the front by the same amount by lowering it on the torsion bar. Apparently it has an uprated torsion bar as part of the 2" lift kit. Would I need to get a stock bar or can I lower it on the uprated one do you think?

Sorry for all the questions BTW............

Comment

I got a softer ride,..................it's called a peugot 306 TD, does 45 MPG, and goes round corners fast, and it's comfy and easy to drive

But it's c r a p off road!
                              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                              X