My cv boot clips are crap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My cv boot clips are crap...

Or im just crap, but the boots are fairly new and the grease has come out of ther side of every boot and sprayed all over the place

Is there any reason I cant scrap the crap clips and replace them with jubilee clips?

I was in need of a clip for a cv boot once and used a cable tie for a temporary job. But its worked well so i didnt bother changing it yet.

Comment

Hear Hear! Re-grease and then heavy duty cable-ties pulled tight with pliers.
      Powered by Toyota!

Comment

these are a good one if you follow the instructions to the letter, (very strong so you can get them nice and tight without them snapping)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainless-stee...2em118Q2el1247
        Last edited by davemaxx; 5 May 2008, 19:45.

Comment

Ahh.
          See, they are the ones that came with my cv boots. I found them to be pretty rubbish, which was why i ended up using the cable ties.

Comment

I've done a few boots over the years and have found the type linked to above (ebay) work best for me.

What is important is to degrease the hub and the inside of the boot where it contacts the hub so that there is less chance of it slipping off. Still pack the grease in the boot, just don't get any on the mating surfaces. Then use the clips above and get them nice and tight with a pair of pincers and you should be fine.

Rob.

Comment

i wouldn't have contributed to the thread if i didn't have some experiance in the conversation,

the first boots i fitted were supplied with a simular type clip to the link above, i found that if i located the hook teeth in the holes and then leverd them over anouther notch with a small screwdriver befor tightening the crimp loop they were well tight and they are still on the veichle.

the second boots i fitted to the outher side of the veichle where suplied with a stainless steel band that had to be tightend with a special tool and then tabs bent over, i over tightend the bands and snapped them. so i orderd the ones in the link, they are slightly diffrent to any others that i have seen, because they are a heavier guage stainless steel and are about three times thicker,

Comment

I too have plastic cable ties holding mine on after the metal ones gave up. No problems here.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Erm sorry if this is a bit basic but as I've got two boots that need changing, and never done them before on any vehicle I've had, thought I would ask for some input on how to diy them.

Are they that basic that its a daft question, or is there a knack to it?

Cheers
                  Phil

Comment

basicly you have to get the axle shafts out, and there is a nack to it.
                    try a search for

cv boot replacement

or cv joints

or bronze bushes

or front axle removal

the boot replacement bit is easy, its just getting to it

Comment

Cheers I guess that's my weekend sorted then!

Comment

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm

Comment

Working...
                        X