ID my engine please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID my engine please?

Hi all, i have aquired a Surf and know nothin about it, it apparently was suffering from a blown headgasket and was partially striped down by a guy who unfortunatly died and left it sitting for a few months, as it was mostly in bits anyway i removed the head for a looky and although i couldnt see any obvious defect with the gasket, water has definatly been sitting in at least one cylinder (number 1)
    I have taken a few pics of the truck and engine to see if you lot can tell me which engine it is and maybe where i could get a Haynes type book that cover this lump.
    I dont want to just abandon it as its quite nice with recaros and lots of buttons and switches that were all working ok before it broke down, cheers for any help, heres some piccies.

2.4 Lt-e

Comment

Yes it's a 2.4 and just to be picky the correct term is a 2L-TE.

Nev

Comment

It won't be the gasket, the head will be gubbed.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

they have a weakness in the head then? where abouts does it fail?

Comment

Yep, they have a weakness in the head (like many of us on here). The head can fail almost anywhere.

Get one from a reputable source, not eBay! Do a search for 'Steveo' (SP) on here. His heads are the best...
            Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by popuptoaster View Post
              they have a weakness in the head then? where abouts does it fail?
              Usually cracks between the valves into the cooling passages.

Nev

Comment

Ok thanks, well i'll have to check it when im over the yard next, but if its gonna need another head and price is seems over 600 quid for all the bits its gonna get an engine transplant from somethin else, maybe a V8 or a 24v V6 from a cossie granada onto an explorer gearbox, cant be doin with spendin oodles of cash on standard bits, goes against me principles!

Comment

Ok thanks, well i'll have to check it when im over the yard next, but if its gonna need another head and price is seems over 600 quid for all the bits its gonna get an engine transplant from somethin else, maybe a V8 or a 24v V6 from a cossie granada onto an explorer gearbox, cant be doin with spendin oodles of cash on standard bits, goes against me principles!
                  Why not have a natter with Bushwhacker (Vince) who has been busy putting a Lexus V8 into his surf, and a brilliant job he has made of it too
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

an engine transplant from somethin else, maybe a V8 or a 24v V6 from a cossie granada onto an explorer gearbox, cant be doin with spendin oodles of cash on standard bits, goes against me principles!

Hi Popup. Got a hilux now. 24V v6 now thats an interesting engine, lol.
                    Looking to get a hilux myself soon. Need to tow the track car about as the skyline is not the best thing to use

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by RobRS2 View Post
                      Hi Popup. Got a hilux now. 24V v6 now thats an interesting engine, lol.
                      Looking to get a hilux myself soon. Need to tow the track car about as the skyline is not the best thing to use

Rob
                      hullo mate, 24v just sprang to mind as they are still cheap, cant think of anything else with 200bhp & 200lb/ft you can buy for under 400 quid. and i know they will bolt up to a Ford explorer gearbox which should be easyish to whack into any 4x4, i was thinkin it would be ideal for towing mine to the track as well, great minds think alike.

Gotta get the head checked first though and then if its knackered see how much an explorer box is, might just break it up for spares and look for a running one.

Comment

Good thought on the gearbox. I have a spare BOA in the garage, so i may look for a dead Surf

Comment

Working...
                        X