Any Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ideas

Hey - Wondering if anyone has any ideas on what i should do next.

I have a 1994 Surf 3.0 Turbo Diesel. It had the classic symtoms of the dual mass flywheel breaking up so i brought a new one and we replaced that over the weekend. Started the car and it ran fine and was nice and quiet compaired to before - Stoked

I was going to replace the clutch as well but when i had it out it looked like it had been replaced by a previous owner.

My problems started when i tried to reverse it out of the garage. It made a horrible graunching noise when i tried to select reverse. It would go in with a little bit of force and was able to be driven. We bleed the clutch and took it for a drive around the block. Could select gears 1-5 but they didnt feel as smooth as they did before. Soon after that it became harder and harder to select first gear. We suspected the slave cylinder so i brought a new one and fitted that today, STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. Tried to lengthen the pushrod to see if that made and difference - it didnt.

Now i dont know what to do Master Cylinder appears fine, was hoping i wouldnt have to take the gearbox out but am thinking i might have to to check i put it together properly

Any Ideas woulde be greatly appreciated!!!

Try laying under the truck, get someone to pres the clutch, then see if you move it any further with a lever, if you can and it selects better then you know you have master cylinder/bleeding issues. They are a bugger to bleed sometimes, it maybe its just that.

Otherwise, the clutches ARE different on the dual mass flywheels, as the clutch plate its self dosn't have the shock springs in it, as they are in the flywheel. You may find the clutch/pressure plate/release bearings when stacked up arn't the same distance from the clutch fork and its not moving far enough if you've not used the right clutch. But only guessing, it may OK, I've always put a new clutch in when doing the flywheel.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cool - I am guessing that i should try and do that with it running??

The flywheel that i replaced it with was the same as the one that i took out and was also a Toyota Genuine part, so was thinking that it sould all be sweet. Maybe i should have just replaced the clutch while everything was out!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Harvi View Post
        i brought a new one and we replaced that over the weekend.
        A new Dual Mass or Solid?

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
          A new Dual Mass or Solid?

Nev
          That was a quick answer.

Nev

Comment

It sure was!!!

Replaced with another Dual Mass Same as what came out. I enquired about replacing it with solid conversion kit but ended up going for the cheapest option which was the dual mass (695 nzd).

Comment

If you are getting full travel from the slave cylinder and it's still not disengaging the clutch properly then even if the clutch plate looked ok the pressure plate may be the culprit.

Nev

Comment

Just had a thought. Can the clutch plate in these be installed backwards?

Nev

Comment

Yeah some one else asked me that. My mate who put it in said that it would only fit one way??

Comment

Originally posted by Harvi View Post
                    Yeah some one else asked me that. My mate who put it in said that it would only fit one way??
                    It'll fit on either way, you need to make sure the flatter side of the clutch plate is facing the flywheel.

Otherwise the spring housing will hit the flywheel and drag.

Also, I thought you ment you'd swapped the DM flywheel for a solid one. If you've just replaced it, using the clutch that was on it, then everything should work as it did before, so I'd be looking to installation problems rather than parts wrong.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks for that - I guess the plan from here is to pull it off again!!!

What a mission.

Comment

Working...
                      X