Two Wheel Drive Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Wheel Drive Problem

Hello, Wonder if anyone can help. I have a 1994 2nd gen' 3.0 auto surf, that's stopped driving in 2 wd, will only go in 4 wd. i've made sure it's in 2 wd and not in neutral, had a look underneath and everything seems OK. Any ideas anyone? Cheers.
    Last edited by nilocfrus; 26 April 2008, 17:51.

im no expert but is the high and low selecter engaged pull it down towards your seat im sure someone will help soon

Comment

Yeah, i've done that, still not working. Cheers.

Comment

We need a few more details to be able to help.
        What happened? How did it happen? what were you doing leading up to it happening?
        If you used 4wd on the road then you probably have wind up, therefore the ADD cant disengage and the 4wd light will stay on.
        Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Originally posted by nilocfrus View Post
          Hello, Wonder if anyone can help. I have a 1994 2nd gen' 3.0 auto surf, that's stopped driving in 2 wd, will only go in 4 wd. i've made sure it's in 2 wd and not in neutral, had a look underneath and everything seems OK. Any ideas anyone? Cheers.
          Not to sure if i can help, but i ain't to far away from you (harborne B17) if you wanted me to have a look over the truck mate.

Comment

I havn't been using 4WD on the the road, i do know about windup. I was driving home, stopped at traffic lights then as i pulled away the truck lost acceleration, i pulled over, then as i tried to drive away again i could hear a light grinding noise, like something was trying to engage. Nothing in 2WD had to drive the short distance home in 4WD.
            Last edited by nilocfrus; 27 April 2008, 10:11.

Comment

i would say that you have knocked it out of 2wd by accident.You wouldn't be the first and wont be the last to of done it if it is whats happened.Make sure the gear selector is in N before trying to get into 2wd as it sounds as if it has been knocked out of gear but just catching as with the crunching sound.
              Sometimes with mine it takes several attempts to get into 2wd after being in 4wd but it does go in the end tho
              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by nilocfrus View Post
                I havn't been using 4WD on the the road, i do know about windup. I was driving home, stopped at traffic lights then as i pulled away the truck lost acceleration, i pulled over, then as i tried to drive away again i could hear a light grinding noise, like something was trying to engage. Nothing in 2WD had to drive the short distance home in 4WD.

I've sent you another PM with new phone number Mate

Comment

Knocked out of 2WD was the first thing i tried, been trying that one since tuesday. Cheers.

Comment

What happens if you get underneath and try to rotate the rear propshaft?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny77 View Post
                      What happens if you get underneath and try to rotate the rear propshaft?
                      Just got back from having a quick look at Colin's truck and it seems to be the nearside rear drive shaft that's fubbard.

With both gearboxes in neutral it is easy to select all the various gear ranges, 2H, 4H, and 4L. When in 2H there truck will quite happily sit at idle and not even attempt to move until either 4H or 4L is selected.
                      When looking under the truck with 2H selected and in any selected gear the truck is completely stationary, but the rear drive shaft is rotating constantly with a grating noise coming from the nearside axle tube close to the hub.

With the engine off and rear off truck on axle stands you can spin the rear prop shaft quite easily but neither of the rear wheels make any attempt to turn,and yes the handbrake was off , before someone ask's. Whilst turning the prop shaft by hand you can hear what I am presuming is the drive shaft grating within the axle tube. If you spin either wheel there is no thruoput to the opposite sdie causing the opposing whhel to revolve, although when spinning the offside wheel the grating on the nearside can be heard wich is what make's me think it is the drive shaft only and not the diff.

For the more knowledgeable out there any further opinions would be appreciated. The diff code for the truck is G294 if someone has a spare drive shaft going.

Comment

Well from what you have described it definately sounds like a broken half shaft.
                        I am suprised it failed pulling away from the lights though. It must have been cracked / fatigued anyway.
                        At least its not too much hassle to change and a good second hand one should be easy and cheap enough to get hold of.

Comment

Working...
                        X