Should I get road tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get road tyres?

truck currently has 31" AT's on 15's but we're gonna be going to France in the summer camping so wondered if I should seek out some road only tyres for what will be something like a 1500-2000mile round trip?
    Toot! Toot!

I've got H/T tyres on mine, but still managed to go everywhere the others did when greenlaning!

Alan
    www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
      truck currently has 31" AT's on 15's but we're gonna be going to France in the summer camping so wondered if I should seek out some road only tyres for what will be something like a 1500-2000mile round trip?
      The A/Ts will be fine.

Comment

I run muds on mine all the time ( Coopers Discoverer STT's), she behaves perfectly well, have been to Wales twice, at 700 miles each trip, and will be going again on 2nd of May, and will be doing 2000 mile round trip on the Pan Pyrenees trip in 2009.

The A/Ts will be fine, save your money for some nice wine and cheese
        Attached Files
        Last edited by plumb bob; 7 April 2008, 19:50.
        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

It's just I've been mooching about on the bay. as you do, and had seen some 16's with HT's go for sensible money...

but then I did think it might be a bit gay

and wine yes, cheese NO!!
          Toot! Toot!

Comment

Good BFG A/T's are 95% as good as any road tyre, plus you can also use them offroad or in snow.

Personaly, I can't see the point of street only tyres, even if you never go offroad regularly, the 1 time you end up on a wet field you will wish you had them.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

don't get me wrong, the A/T's ain't going anywhere, just had a passing thought that road tyres might be a good idea for a 2000 mile road trip...
              Toot! Toot!

Comment

but then I did think it might be a bit gay

Oh yeah, deffinately well gay!
                Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                  I've got H/T tyres on mine, but still managed to go everywhere the others did when greenlaning!

Alan
                  must be tricky lanes huh?
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

2,000 miles round France last August on BFG A/Ts, 70-90mph all the way.
                    Couldn't hear the hum at all because of two fighting and screaming kids in the back.........
                    Seriously, don't buy road tyres for the trip. Do what the man says and buy more cheese and wine. You won't remember the tyres you bought in 10 years time, but you'll remember the wine.... Or perhaps you wont remember anything at all in which case you are still doing the right thing.

Comment

nice rod...

and actually just done a couple of hundred miles this evening, half of which I was towing a dead Alfa (big shock eh?), and I now don't feel the need to change the wheels/tyres, truck a plenty stable enough, especially now I've got the right tyre pressures :lol:
                      Toot! Toot!

Comment

If your buying road tyres, you may as well buy the mondeo to go with them
                        Brian

Comment

nice yoshie, nice... could've been worse, you could've suggested a vectra
                          Toot! Toot!

Comment

Working...
                          X