Steering 'issues'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering 'issues'

Yes, yes, I know. Big tyres = woolly steering, but...

When I lift the front of the truck and move one wheel, there is what seems like a fair bit (maybe 1/2" at the edge of the tyre) of play before the other wheel trys to move.

Now, every joint is balljointed, so there is BOUND to be some play, but how much should there be? I cant feel any in the track-rod ends, inner or outer, and the idler seems OK.

I'd like to jack up the front of someone elses truck so I can see how much is normal.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Originally posted by Apache View Post

When I lift the front of the truck and move one wheel, there is what seems like a fair bit (maybe 1/2" at the edge of the tyre) of play before the other wheel trys to move.

Now, every joint is balljointed, so there is BOUND to be some play, but how much should there be? I cant feel any in the track-rod ends, inner or outer, and the idler seems OK.

I'd like to jack up the front of someone elses truck so I can see how much is normal.
    Almost no play in mine. The only play that can cause that from wheel to wheel is inner and outer track rod ends idler and pitman wouldnt display that kind of play, when i changed all mine it was a big difference, £50 roughly for all 4
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Will probably start with track rod ends as they're cheapest

Changed the idler a couple of years ago, and keep it greased so it shouldn't be that. Pitman, dunno, hard to tell, but doesn't look like there's any play there.

Comment

Had the same problem with mine a week ago, turned out to be the inner track rods, but with the the ball joint arangement i dont think it will be long before it will come back to a lesser extent, with that amount of ball joints there is going to be play
        Roy
        When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Your welcome to come over and try mine if you want Mate, Means i can back of the torsion bars a little at the same time.

Comment

I'm free, let me know if you need a my truck.
            Live the dream.......

Comment

me too, need to do my torsion bars. wanna get together somewhere central soon ish? Ive got a drive...... Bring yer own jacks and axel stands!
              Andy, you are in Malvern, I'm in Worcester next to the Hospital, Growlers in Brum near Spaghetti... wheres other people situated?
              If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

I'll be doing some spannering on my mates drive soon. Not sure if he'd be too happy if a million other trucks turned up though.

Madison, wouldn't mind a quick wiggle of your front wheels if you dont mind. Do you have a decent jack or do I need to bring one?

Leg-end. Happy to get together and fiddle. Your place sounds OK. I have no drive!

Growler, cheers for the offer but Madison's practically on my doorstep, and Leg-end is only down the road.
                Last edited by Apache; 27 March 2008, 16:45.

Comment

I'll be doing some spannering on my mates drive soon. Not sure if he'd be too happy if a million other trucks turned up though.

Madison, wouldn't mind a quick wiggle of your front wheels if you dont mind. Do you have a decent jack or do I need to bring one?

Leg-end. Happy to get together and fiddle. Your place sounds OK. I have no drive!

Growler, cheers for the offer but Madison's practically on my doorstep, and Leg-end is only down the road.
                  You will need to bring your Jake.
                  Sorry not on line today I was giving the truck a service.
                  I am free all day tomorrow.
                  Live the dream.......

Comment

Gotta work tomorrow. Are you around at the weekend at all?

Comment

I am on 4 on 4 of.
                      Sorry working all weekend. I will not be free until wednesday.
                      Live the dream.......

Comment

Weds might be OK. I'm off then.

Comment

would I be welcome to pop over too on weds pm, as i have a 'window' 12 till 5pm . let me know location.....
                          If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Andy, I'm only gonna be wobbling the front wheels to see what moves on a truck that isn't mine. We'll get together and do some spannering when the weather's more conducive.

If you're gonna wind up the torsion bars in the near future, go out there NOW and soak the threads with WD40, and do it daily until you adjust them. When they're tight, they're a complete biatch!

Comment

Working...
                            X