Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Only 1 Tyre Wearing Unevenly

Hi guys,

just had a new set of tyres all round as all were on the legal limits. All of the tyres that were taken off were worn evenly apart from the front nearside which was excessively worn on it's inside edge.
    Am I right in thinking that this isn't incorrect tracking because the other front tyre would have shown similar wear?

The garage that changed the tyres checked the tracking and said that it was alright. They just rolled it over one of those boards with a needle that moves to indicate positive or negative toe. I don't know how good these are compared to laser alignment or whether the tyre fitters actually know how much toe-in the surf should have.

What about camber and caster? Would this normally show on both wheels too?

I gave the wheels a good pull up/down/side-to-side while they had the car jacked up, but couldn't feel any play, all felt solid.
    I know this test works for small cars and have found play before that has been causing irregular tyre wear, but with the surf being much bigger and heavier, does this test work?

Looking at all of the suspension components, the rubber on anti-roll droplinks is looking a bit perished as is the rubber on other parts, but like say I couldn't feel any play.

Has anyone had this sort of tyre wear before and know what the cause is?

Also, when I figure out what component is worn, how do Roughtrax and Milner suspension components compare? Will the Roughtrax parts last longer?

Thanks for any help you may have,
    Andy

i would go get a full alignment check done but not at the place you had the tyres fitted.Once the alignment has been done then you can eliminate anything else if needed be
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Definitely get full track and suspension set up check/adjust done by someone who knows what they are doing. I have had this done on both the Surfs I've owned and it makes a huge difference to tyre wear AND the way the truck drives! It may cost a bit but well worth it in the long run, and it will take a while if done properly - mine took nearly two hours!!!

Cheers, Nick
      "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Just had my tracking done for that exact same reason, 6mm of tread on the out side of the tyre and 1mm on the inside (nearside front) it took the garage 3/4 of an hour to find that they could not track it as there was play in the steering, the only way to check was to leave the drivers side on the deck and just jack up the near side, you could only really tell once the alignment kit was on the car (you could see the laser movement, so they sent me away to fix it and didn't charge me for the work, as they said they did not do the job i took the car in for.

Turned out to be the steering idler under the nearside front wheel also changed the inner track rod end as i got the lot for £73.50 of FleeBay
        Roy
        When ya stop having fun, Ya start getting old

Comment

Working...
        X