No announcement yet.

Jack up Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went with the LA SuperTrux 2" lift kit (uprated torsion bars and springs) with ES9000 shocks. It improved her on road manners, and improved her off road ability (Woodzie/Bio Hazzard hasn't killed her yet). Oh she came off the boat with 31" AT's, so I just replaced them with Kumo 50/50 ATs and haven't had a problem yet.
    Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by RedRunner View Post
      Ok,

i'm sure u know but just to clarify, when im talking about the speed, all i mean is that i want to keep the cars daily usability. I comute from Manchester/Leeds quite alot at the mo (only temp tho), and thus i want the car to not lose what little cruising ability it has.

Also, i'll put road biased tires on, to use on the road, i'll also be changing the wheels, so will stick some BIG tyres on the old rims for off-roading.

Obviously i accept now that there will have to be compromise, but i just want to keep a happy medium.

That truck is gorgess, exactly the sort of final image im after (long term).
      Ah fair enough. You can get the surf to suit any means you want - just costs money an takes time. It was a long time before i knew exactly what i wanted my surf to be like.

Research totally pays off mate! The longer you spent looking at pics an pricing parts the happier you will be.

Of course if you have any questions we can normally answer them in the blink of an eye!

just one key thing to remember - dont go too high in a body lift. There is no way to compensate the higher center of gravity.

If i were you an had the patience (Personally i kinda dont!!)

then i would keep it stock till your done with your long road trip for work.

then start off with a 2" suspension lift. Fill the arches with some nice 16" alloys an fit BFG All terrain or mud terrain tyres.

from there you can easily add a body lift an spacers to the suspension to get the ride height up. then just upgrade from say 265/75/16 to either 285/75/16 or 305/70/16.

I love my truck an wouldnt trade it for another surf! But if i were starting all over again - i could be tempted by the set up the member called "white akita" has.

its a 3.5" lift sat on 33x12.50r15's great proportions.

Originally posted by Nick V View Post
      "horses for courses!" "but I am not sure if it is for 'pose' or for 'function'! "

100% agree mate!! At the end of the day each truck is built for or by its owner to meet the specs the owner wants out of it. Most trucks (of any make/model) follow some suit - I read on a dodge site that "to replicate a truck that you have seen either in a picture or for real is only a testiment to the person that built it in the 1st place." I think its a valid point.

I have decided that I could be modifying my truck for the wrong reason and in the wrong way.

Good for you mate!! I admire anyone who can walk away from jacking a truck sky high an choose what suits themselves better!

The majority of the 4x4's that I looked at that have been modded to be used for overland use, general offroading, and greenlaning, by the professionals as well as the DIYers, do not have huge suspension lifts - 2'' seems to be the norm, do not have massive tyres - 31" in the main but 33'' are used, but they also include a winch and at least a rear difflock insuring that you could get out of a tight spot if needed!!!

a Difflock an winch are some serious bits of kit!! with some serious expense attached to them! I can understand some putting them on - but from what ive read an seen i would say its unlikly for someone to find a suituation where either is 100% needed. theres always a cheaper option that will do the same job. (except a difflock - but they are crazy!!)

Do I want to incur any damage to the bodywork? NO (scratches acceptable, dents and ripped off arches not!).

Im with you on that one!! If i trashed my truck i would break down!

Well, that's my two pennies worth, and I'm now glad I read this posting - I've actually given something some serious thought before I jump!!

Comment

Rod, I agree that the difflock and winch are expensive items, but they are things I personally would consider installing in that order before I went for a "sky high" lift and/or other mods,

Cheers, Nick
        "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Working...
        X