Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack up Kits

Hi,

I'm new to the Surf world, i've just bought a 1994 4 Runner. Its a 3l V6 Petrol, or as the yanks call them a 3.slow!!! and believe me they're not wrong.

Anyway, i really want to jack it up for some more clearance, i like to try really ordacious climbs and i find that the clearance is lacking. Also i could get some bigger tires on this way.

I mainly use it on road though, and was wondering if anybody knew how it would effect my Runner. Also how do i do it???

Ive tried reading the American forums, but i'm @*&$(% if i know what theyre on about.

Any advice??
    If you pretend it goes fast... it will!!

You reckon that's slow? Try a 2.4 diesel. Plenty of people on here have fitted a variety of lifts from the cheap and cheerful (read dangerous) to the expensive and professional (try LA Supertrux).

Try a search on body lift and suspension lift and you should find plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
      You reckon that's slow? Try a 2.4 diesel. Plenty of people on here have fitted a variety of lifts from the cheap and cheerful (read dangerous) to the expensive and professional (try LA Supertrux).

Try a search on body lift and suspension lift and you should find plenty.
      down hill a 2.4 's ok

Comment

Happy to help with a lift if you want one. We have a 3L V6 in the shop at the momeny with 37" tyres on it so it has good ground clearence!!

regards Nigel
        Monster trucks, BIG,Loud,Fast, What's not to like?

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm View Post
          down hill a 2.4 's ok
          With a following wind!
          http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Antshiel View Post
            With a following wind!
            You mean Yeti's truck ?
            Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
              You mean Yeti's truck ?
              No cause that failed the MOT

I'm only saying that cause he keeps trying to break mine
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Supertrux View Post
                Happy to help with a lift if you want one. We have a 3L V6 in the shop at the momeny with 37" tyres on it so it has good ground clearence!!

regards Nigel
                pics!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                  pics!!!!

should be nice to see wish i could get a lift done at nigels. could just imagine skull being like big foot. hmmmm idea for you nigel make a truck called skull

Comment

How High

Originally posted by Supertrux View Post

regards Nigel
                    Hi Nigel,

What would it cost me? what type of lift would it be?

I sort of want to do it myself, however depending on what kind of a lift its going to be, and how expensive, i might need help.

Could we see some pics of the V6 in your shop?

I read that the best way to go is to do a solid front axle or something.
                    Whats that got to do with the price of fish???

I just want it to be higher (better clearance), and look scary!!! so that i've got something over all of these flashy new 4X4's that are filling up tescos' car parks!
                    If you pretend it goes fast... it will!!

Comment

Have a browse on Nigel's site:

http://www.supertrux.com/acatalog/4_..._Lux_Surf.html

http://www.supertrux.com/acatalog/DI...t_at_home.html

http://www.supertrux.com/acatalog/XL_TRUCKS.html

http://www.supertrux.com/acatalog/XXL_TRUCKS.html

If, however, you just want to be higher up in the air and don't care too much about wobbling around just stick some landcruiser springs on the back and crank up the front torsion bar.

Comment

The LC springs actually appear to make the truck more stable despite the height increase.

When I did mine, I had near standard size wheels, OEM shocks etc etc on, so the differences I noted were ONLY due to the springs.

Oddly enough, there was less body roll.

The downside of cranking up the torsion bars is the ride becomes very choppy at the front. However, ball joint spacers returns the ride to near normal again as you can leave the torsion bars more or less stock tension.

Taking the rear ARB off led to some slight body roll but nothing 'Discovery like'.

What has affected my trucks handling more than any of the lifting has been the big mud tyres.

If I was starting again, I would NOT buy big muds unless I had them as a 2nd set. Sure, they're great offroad, and they look the dogs danglies, but they handle like shoite.

Later this year, I am buying wheels with BFG ATs on, and the muds will only be put on when I know I'm gonna need them, but (and here's the bit which will probably get me shot down) I believe that good ATs will take you pretty much anywhere I want to go as I dont do the kind of offroading where the whole point seem to be to break something / get so stuck you need to be winched out / fill the truck with water to chest depth.

I guess its horses for courses. If I had a zook, then I'd be tempted to buy a westuit and a boot full of drive shafts
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

My concern with cheap lifts is more over how they would handle in an emergency - elk test style. 4runners had a bit of a reputation for flipping in the US and removal of ARBs, lengthened springs etc etc is only going to make that worse.

It totally agree with Andy on the tyres though. Spending a fortune on big muds as your only tyres is pretty pointless. I took the view with mine that even ATs were a bit over the top and that I could get a decent look, some off road ability and much better road handling with 80:20 tyres (BFG Long Trails). I know there are others that agree with me, although they may choose to keep quiet.

Notwithstanding all of that, it's your truck and you're a grown up so it's entirely your choice.

Comment

If as you say you want a lift to show off in Tesco carpark then body lift it.
                            Its a cheap crap way to lift a truck but fits perfectly with the Nova generation of doing things. All looks and no function.

The 3" lift with land crusier springs and es9000 shocks improved my trucks ride.
                            I have no rear arb now and also a 2" body lift to alow 33" muds to fit.
                            BFG and I hardley notice any increase in noise over the 31" ATs I was running.
                            However, I've been in some trucks running other makes of muds that feel and sound more like marbels.

My truck rarely sees the wrong side of 65mph now and as they aint great brakes to sart with none of the above has helped. Rolling 33s take a bit of stopping. Braided lines are next on the list.

I lifted mine as I love playing off road and the trade off is well worth it for me.

As for dangerous well they aint a 5 star safety car to start with and Toyota spend millions on R&D so my mods won't have helped improve road ability.

But she is a hell of a lot more fun off road now and that's all that matters to me.
                            Brian

Comment

Yeah, to be honest, I dont believe my truck is any less stable than it ever was. Here's that 'horses for courses' thing again...

As my truck's got bigger, I have become more circumspect in the way I drive. I have had to make the odd 'avoid' manouevre when someone's pulled out in front of me, but I've never been going fast enough to cause me a problem in stopping / avoiding.

Its just a case of understanding your vehicles (new) limitations, and driving within them.
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X