Only One Shoe Binding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only One Shoe Binding?

I had the brake drums off last week to change the drivers side rear wheel bearing.

The bearing job went perfect but now since I've put everything back together only one shoe binds on the passenger side. The drivers side is not binding.

When I had everything off I greased up the adjuster threads, backed them off fully to get the drums on and pulled the handbrake a million times until the adjusters stopped clicking.

Im 100% sure that I unstalled the shoes correctly. Checked it against the opposite side and brake shoes.doc and all perfect.

When the handbrake is off now, the driver side drum can be removed easily by hand, i.e. without screwing the two bolts in to pop it off.

I have measured the depth of remaining thread on the shoe linings and seems about the same on both sides. The handbrake cable seems to be normal. I tightened it up from the cab to see if it would make a differnce and no luck.

I am going to take the drum off again tonight and screw out the adjuster on drivers side until the drum just about pushes on. I'll then try and get in through the rubber bung on the back to ajdust it a little more. I'll try swapping over the drums aswell in case they have worn a litle un evenly.

Anything else I can do? Is this normal that one side will bind before the other?

Would appreicate any help.

P
    96 3rd Gen Surf KZN185

Do that adjustment again tonight.
    I'm sure you shouldnt be swapping drums round.
    Someone more knowledgable will give the reasons why.

Comment

Working...
    X