Free Wheeling Hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Wheeling Hubs

I have heard this term banded about in mags and stuff and have no idea what they are...
    Anyone.....?
    2 Tone Mud Master!
    http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Originally posted by carbonman
    I have heard this term banded about in mags and stuff and have no idea what they are...
    Anyone.....?
    They are units on the front hubs that disconnect the drive from the front wheels allowing the front wheels to turn and not drive the drive shafts and diff. On the Hilux, when in 2WD mode the Automatic Disconnecting Differential basically removes drive from the front wheels however the drive shafts still turn.

The benefits of Manual locking hubs is that you reduce wear on the front CV joints and diff bearings and also get a small reduction in fuel consumption. ON the downside you need to engage them by getting out of the cab to lock them when you want to go into 4WD.

They are really usefull when running large lifts as you are only stressing the CV joints when you are actually in 4WD. When running the CV joints at large angles due to large suspension lifts (over 2") without lowering the diff, without Locking hubs, you wear out the CV joints quicker. Alternative is to use performance CV joints that allow higher angles or Double Cardan joints (like the front UJ on the propshaft).

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
      They are units on the front hubs that disconnect the drive from the front wheels allowing the front wheels to turn and not drive the drive shafts and diff. On the Hilux, when in 2WD mode the Automatic Disconnecting Differential basically removes drive from the front wheels however the drive shafts still turn.

The benefits of Manual locking hubs is that you reduce wear on the front CV joints and diff bearings and also get a small reduction in fuel consumption. ON the downside you need to engage them by getting out of the cab to lock them when you want to go into 4WD.

They are really usefull when running large lifts as you are only stressing the CV joints when you are actually in 4WD. When running the CV joints at large angles due to large suspension lifts (over 2") without lowering the diff, without Locking hubs, you wear out the CV joints quicker. Alternative is to use performance CV joints that allow higher angles or Double Cardan joints (like the front UJ on the propshaft).

Cheers
      Superb explanation
      Thanks lucky
      2 Tone Mud Master!
      http://www.sunsetsurf.co.uk

Comment

I tend to use mine a different way! I leave them locked so I can come in an out of 4wd on the fly! (especially in the winter months) then only unlock if I have a long motorway trip and/or am towing then relock at my destination!
        However sometimes I cant remember wether they are locked or open without looking!!

The other advantage of these hubs are the ability to engage low ratio if towing a heavy load on tarmac etc albeit in 2wd only! Without axle wind up.
        Cheers

Neil
        www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

I've got a 2.4 K reg auto, does this come with free wheeling hubs as standard? Took it to a garage today as the wheels seem to wobble when I'm driving it now. The guy said it could be the free wheeling hubs?????
          When the going gets tough...The Surf gets going!!!

Comment

I have the same model and I don't have freewheeling. When you push 4wd button in does the light come on and does it drive differently? If so you don't have them either.

Comment

Originally posted by The Hornet
              I have the same model and I don't have freewheeling. When you push 4wd button in does the light come on and does it drive differently? If so you don't have them either.
              The light comes on now...didn't before I never had the 4WD working, found the problem now it works. Went off roading the other week since then the steering hasn't been right. It tries to pull to the right quite bad and the whole truck wobbles from side to side. The mechanic said it could be the cv joint or the free wheeling hubs, (I didn't think it had free wheeling hubs) but I haven't really got a clue what they are so I couldn't say if it had them or not.
              When the going gets tough...The Surf gets going!!!

Comment

Sounds like you have a problem with 4wd and that you dont have freewheeling hubs.

Comment

If you have free wheeling hubs they look something like this.
                  Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

re

Originally posted by europa88
                    I tend to use mine a different way! I leave them locked so I can come in an out of 4wd on the fly! (especially in the winter months) then only unlock if I have a long motorway trip and/or am towing then relock at my destination!
                    However sometimes I cant remember wether they are locked or open without looking!!

The other advantage of these hubs are the ability to engage low ratio if towing a heavy load on tarmac etc albeit in 2wd only! Without axle wind up.
                    Cheers

Neil
                    are you saying that using the low ratio box without 4wd engaged can cause wind-up? i was under the impression that wind-up is a 4wd phenomena?
                    Biggus Truckus..

Comment

as far as i know you can only use low ratio in 4wd, or should i say, when you select low ratio it automatically goes into 4wd.
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Working...
                      X