Which bolts to undo for rear springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which bolts to undo for rear springs?

I have read various threads on changing the rear springs and looked at the differnt links to Yota tech etc.
    Just to confirm before I start this weekend on my Gen2:

Support rear of vehicle
    Jack under rear axle
    Take of rear wheel
    Undo the bottom of rear shock
    Push down on drum brake to release spring
    Put in new springs
    Then do everything up again
    Remember to do Drivers side first.

Yota tech guide takes off the bolts holding brake pipes across diff & axle,
    is that necassary?

What have I missed?

Thanks

Originally posted by walkabout View Post
    I have read various threads on changing the rear springs and looked at the differnt links to Yota tech etc.
    Just to confirm before I start this weekend on my Gen2:

Support rear of vehicle
    Jack under rear axle No under the rail let the axle drop

Take of rear wheel

Undo the bottom of rear shock

Push down on drum brake to release spring You will have to remove the top control arm on the driver side to stop it hitting the tank, Brake lines need to be removed to give enough to do this without spring compressors.

Put in new springs

Then do everything up again

Remember to do Drivers side first.

Yota tech guide takes off the bolts holding brake pipes across diff & axle,
    is that necassary?
    Yes or see above brake lines
    What have I missed?

Thanks
    If in doubt pm Bushwacker, Tony N, Stein ect

If you use spring compressors you don't need to do anything other than press down on brake drum a little to get the compressed spring out/in
    Last edited by yoshie; 28 February 2008, 09:38.
    Brian

Comment

No need to put the jack under the axle, you want that to drop down as much as possible to slacken the springs off.

Undoing the brake hose mounting from the axle is a good idea, you don't want to over stretch it and break the brakes!

Some people recommend undoing the upper control arm thingy on the drivers side to stop if from fouling the fuel tank. I never bothered.

Quick tip that makes life a bit easier getting the old ones out, use some straps (at least two) to hold the compression on the springs before you jack anything up. Then when it is jacked up they'll almost fall out. Be careful when undoing the straps though!
      Paul </Slugsie>
      Immortal.so far!

Comment

new springs

doing mine tomorrow if they turn up today

ordered the milners ones, was in a dilema with routrax but they are more expensive and a number of guys on here seem to have had success with the milner ones.

Good idea about the straps and can lay my hands on some spring compressors will these also help?

In summary do drivers side first and only need to drop the bottom suspension bolt and release the brake pipe bracket.

Can wheels stay on?

Hoping mate with forklift might lift the back end for me via tow bracketry as it will be a big lift with a trolley jack.

hope it is as easy as you guys make out.

cheers

ps sent cheque for subs do I just wait for star to appear as confirmation of receipt?

Comment

Originally posted by hilly64 View Post
          doing mine tomorrow if they turn up today

ordered the milners ones, was in a dilema with routrax but they are more expensive and a number of guys on here seem to have had success with the milner ones. I like most fitted milners LandCrusier JD80 springs that are 3" longer
          Good idea about the straps and can lay my hands on some spring compressors will these also help? If you have spring compressors fine, Personally I would be to scared of a spring in the face to use a strap
          In summary do drivers side first and only need to drop the bottom suspension bolt and release the brake pipe bracket. If you compress the spings

Can wheels stay on? No

Hoping mate with forklift might lift the back end for me via tow bracketry as it will be a big lift with a trolley jack.

hope it is as easy as you guys make out.

cheers

ps sent cheque for subs do I just wait for star to appear as confirmation of receipt?
          Some have used compressors as I did. Some have removed brake lines and top control arm drivers side which means spring compression is not neeeded.
          Last edited by yoshie; 28 February 2008, 12:36.
          Brian

Comment

Listen up you guys doing spring replacements I got news for ya !!!!
            I'm partially disabled but willing n I managed it (easier if ya got an underslung spare tho)
            Go on give it a go !!!! You'll never know til ya try it .....

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never see it Comin !!!!
            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
            X