wheel bearing adjustment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel bearing adjustment.

can anyone run through the process of adjusting the front wheelbearings on a kzn130 please, failed m.ot cos too much play in bearings, did say if play had been same in both wheels he would have passed it, which seems strange to me, but m.o.t,ers are a breed apart.

Having a 55mm socket makes this job really easy.

If bearings are in good condition and have been packed properly with grease you are good to go.
    The first nut should be tightened to seat the bearing, 41lb.
    Turn the hub back and forth a few times to seat bearing and then slacken off again.
    Re torque to 16lb and then check for play in the hub.
    If you have play then repeat step one.
    Once you have no play check the hub preload (attach a spring scale buy hooking it over one of the studs on hub, preload should not exceed around 5lb) if preload is too great then slacken and slightly reduce torque setting.
    Put flat tabbed washer back on.
    Now put other nut on and tighten to 65lb.
    check for play.
    Fold one tab on tabbed washer backwards and one forwards.

If anyone wants to disagree with my settings feel free, I'm going on past experience and it's worked for me.

Yoshie actually has our manual but I'm pretty sure this is right.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
      Legend says he has sockets up to 55mm too...
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

i paid £20 for our socket but it makes the job a doddle and you don't mark the nuts with hitting them with hammer and screwdiver.
        Plus you simply can't use torque settings without it.
        Alan

Comment

Truth be known, I've never done the torque thing, I doubt many mechanics ever have. Tighten the nut up reasonably tight to set the bearings, slacken the nut off, then retighten until the play has gone. I reckon that's as good a way as any, certainly the only way I've ever done it in the 32 years I've been dabbling with spanners.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Don't let Alan fool you we only recently agreed to moved "Hit with Something Heavy"
            from option 2 down to option 5
            Brian

Comment

Resurrecting an old thread but does anyone have any pictures of how to do this?
              I'm no mechanic but I'm handy enough on the tools to give it a go with a little picture instruction.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post

If bearings are in good condition and have been packed properly with grease you are good to go.
                Turn the hub back and forth a few times to seat bearing and then slacken off again.
                Re torque to 16lb and then check for play in the hub.
                Once you have no play check the hub preload (attach a spring scale buy hooking it over one of the studs on hub, preload should not exceed around 5lb) if preload is too great then slacken and slightly reduce torque setting.
                check for play.

If anyone wants to disagree with my settings feel free, I'm going on past experience and it's worked for me.

Isn't the hub nut 54mm? Its 54mm on the Land Cruiser front solid axles and the socket does make it easier like mentioned above.

Comment

Yup but the one I had was 55mm and works fine.
                  Alan

Comment

No pics but it's a very easy job to do.
                    I have revised the settings.

Re torque to 18lb and then check for play in the hub.
                    Once you have no play check the hub preload (attach a spring scale buy hooking it over one of the studs on hub, preload should not exceed around 12lb) if preload is too great then slacken and slightly reduce torque setting.
                    check for play.

If you have standard hubs take care taking off the hub face plate, it is retained by 6 nuts and cone washers, these might stick a wee bit so loosen the nut but don't take them off until you have gently tapped around the face plate to unseat the cone washer, that way they won't fly across the workshop.
                    Clean all old grease and replace with good quality bearing grease.
                    Properly work in new grease to taper bearings.
                    Alan

Comment

Thanks Alan. Sounds easy enough so I might give it a go.

Comment

Working...
                      X