Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ball joint spacers fitted

A bit of an ar5e of a job TBH...

Mainly because I'd wound up the torsion bars right to the end of the thread initially!

Took ages to get the tension off them (wound them down so the top of the bolt was flush with the nut as per Stormys suggestion, thats all the tension off.) and then we had to grind back about 5-10mm of the top wishbones so the new bolts weren't fouled. Took the opportunity to get the top bump stops out and cut them down a bit...

Plus points of doing this :-

1) Transformed front end ride. Much plusher, less bouncy. Cant wait to try it off road.
    2) Due to the apparent slightly lengthened upper wishbone, my front wheels are now vertical rather than leaning with the top inwards.

Negative points :-

1) My eyes are full of mud, though cleaning the truck beforehand would have alleviated this.
    2) Both front wheels noticeably point inwards - will get on the tracking adjustment tomorrow!

A big THANKS to Tony N for the phone advice relating attacking the wishbones with a grinder!
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Pictures man!!!

Comment

Not worth it mate. No higher, just less tension on the bars, comfier ride and better articulation.

Did get a couple of arty shots of grinding fireworks though!

Comment

sorry Andy i forgot to mention about the grinding bit as i had to do on mine also
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Where did you get them Andy and how much

O and can I pester you and Rich when I come to do mine if I get stuck
          Brian

Comment

S'ok Rich, no worries! You dont really 'know' your truck until you've drill and sawn holes in it and ground bits off

Yoshie, they are 4Crawler USA items via Tony N. Would happily help, but its a bit of a drive for me, and a HELL of a drive for Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              S'ok Rich, no worries! You dont really 'know' your truck until you've drill and sawn holes in it and ground bits off

Yoshie, they are 4Crawler USA items via Tony N. Would happily help, but its a bit of a drive for me, and a HELL of a drive for Rich!
              No didn't mean for you two to fly up more like phone call ect

What size did you fit 1.5"
              Brian

Comment

Instead of grinding, I used a pad saw to cut 4 small slots and whacked these back to clear the bolts.

My BJ's were only 30mm tho'.
                Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Stormy did a write-up of his fitting.

http://forums.bauchan.org/4x4/viewtopic.php?id=242

Comment

Cheers Matt
                    Brian

Comment

beat me to it Matt but heres a link to a few pics taken at the time
                      http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...int%20spacers/
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Yoshie, fitted 1.5" (nearly 40mm)

Boyo, the height wouldn't have made much difference as it was bolt clearance that was the issue.

Got 25 turns on the torsion bars to get back to a smidge less than the height I had before. I took off about 50 to get the tension off! I'll run it for a week or so and then level it off once its settled again.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                          Yoshie, fitted 1.5" (nearly 40mm)

Boyo, the height wouldn't have made much difference as it was bolt clearance that was the issue.

Got 25 turns on the torsion bars to get back to a smidge less than the height I had before. I took off about 50 to get the tension off! I'll run it for a week or so and then level it off once its settled again.
                          That's some differance in wind up sounds like it's well worth doing what price are the 1.5"
                          Brian

Comment

Around £65 I think. Check with Tony N though.

Now its done, I'm glad I did it. The ride is much more forgiving.

Comment

Brian,you can practice on mine first if you want.
                              www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Working...
                              X