Rapid Tyre Wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rapid Tyre Wear

I need some help with Tyre wear problems. I have a 1991 2.4TD narrow body surf. Original Tyres were 215 80 R15 on 15 6J Wheels. I only do about 6-10K miles a year. I have replaced the tyres for 235 75 R15 General Grabber AT2. The front tyres are wearing on the outside edge very quickly (2 pairs a year). The inner edges have no wear on them at all. I have had the tracking checked on numerous occasions. The tracking I have been told by the mechanics has always been spot on, but I still have the wear problem. I have thought it might be a caster or camber problem, but don't know how to get this checked as most of the tyre places seem to think that only a manufacturer can sort that.
    Can anyone offer some suggestions before I go mad and broke.
    Tristan, from a soggy Gloucester.

This certainly sounds like a camber problem. This is fully adjustable on these vehicles (and many other 4x4's too) so any decent garage/tyre alignment centre should have no difficulty checking and adjusting this. If the claim its a manufacturer only item, drive away and give them no more of your business as they clearly don't know theirs.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Maurice Thanks for the info. I'll try and get it fixed somehow.

How's the 3rd Gen Surf running on Veg oil. I'm thinking of getting rid of my Pocket rocket car and upgrading to a quality surf.

Comment

Working...
      X