No announcement yet.

Hmmmm... oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

filled up all oil, but its all at safe levels, never filled right up to the brim (obviously) so theres no worries there.

ill simply change the rocker cover gasket on saturday, and see how it is after then.

Thanks for all the help people!!

Joe.
    1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4TD

Comment

Update...lol

upon further inspection, it looks like my inlet manifold gasket is leaking oil, which could be the oil seals in the tubby... its leaking on the left hand side, on the first runner, so i'll get a new gasket and do that at the same time...

i'll look into new turbo oil seals or maybe a new turbo too...
      the turbo is a toyota CT...? anyone help?

Joe.

Comment

Originally posted by joe GT View Post
        Update...lol

upon further inspection, it looks like my inlet manifold gasket is leaking oil, which could be the oil seals in the tubby... its leaking on the left hand side, on the first runner, so i'll get a new gasket and do that at the same time...

i'll look into new turbo oil seals or maybe a new turbo too...
        the turbo is a toyota CT...? anyone help?

Joe.
        your turbo is a ct20 but i would just do the seals etc first before spending out on a turbo tho
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Im going to be ###### dreaming of gaskets and surfs soon!
          I'll do that too then, and see what difference it makes
          as you say, it could just be the seals.

Comment

Edit: Scrub that. Just noticed you said the inlet manifold, not the turbo. An amount of oil there is perfectly normal, as it's recirculated through the intake from the rocker cover outlet. The inlet manifold is normally covered in a layer of oil.
            Last edited by MattF; 24 January 2008, 20:45.

Comment

I'mm 99% sure, as theres no oil at all round the turbo housing, or anwhere on the exhaust manifold side.(scrub also)

so i might get away with it being a fault in the inlet manifold gasket??

thank god...

but touch wood anyway
              Last edited by joe GT; 24 January 2008, 20:48.

Comment

I'mm 99% sure, as theres no oil at all round the turbo housing, or anwhere on the exhaust manifold side.
                I'd misread your post. I've revised my answer in that post now.

Comment

...as have i...

Comment

You may not have any fault with the inlet, in truth. Is oil visibly seeping from it? If not, the best thing to do would be to disassemble the air intake hoses and the silver EFI tube, and clean all of the oily gunk out of there. Then give the intake manifold housing a good clean down, (externally). If it takes a week or two for a film to reappear, it's just normal oil vapour being recirculated and weeping out. You can always fit a catch can to eliminate that if that is the case.

Comment

well, i notice about 3 drops over 12 hours. ive never had a car that leaks oil, so its a first for me

so the catch can would go in place of the pipe from the rocker cover to the intake pipe? i just take the intake side of the pipe off, and direct it to the catch can?

how should i clean the intake pipes? acetone and leave to settle and dissolve?

And do mechanical dump valves fit on the hilux??
                      Last edited by joe GT; 24 January 2008, 21:13.

Comment

well, i notice about 3 drops over 12 hours. ive never had a car that leaks oil, so its a first for me
                        That's practically nowt.

so the catch can would go in place of the pipe from the rocker cover to the intake pipe? i just take the intake side of the pipe off, and direct it to the catch can?
                        Catch can inline between rocker cover and intake. There are pics on here somewhere if you do a search.

how should i clean the intake pipes? acetone and leave to settle and dissolve?
                        Warm soapy water and elbow grease. Unless you want to eat through the plastic/rubber by using acetone, that is.

And do mechanical dump valves fit on the hilux??
                        No.

Comment

Oh yeah, i forgot that they're plastic...

Comment

What is an EGR valve and what does it do???

Comment

Exhaust gas recirculation. Search the site. There's plenty of info.

Comment

I've read up about the EGR valve- quite interesting!
                                Went to drop the missus into work this morning, and on my way back, my engine kept on losing power, like i was taking my foot off the pedal, then it was coming on power again. did this for 10 mins!

No power - then power, no power - then power.

Really want to sort this out, as its annoying! I'm planning on jet washing the block off today, to rid of all that nasty oil- so i'll keep updating my finds, and ill get some pictures up today too.

AND i've just recieved my rocker cover gasket, and my intake manifold gasket too

I'll get pictures of application and strip down too, as ill be able to get a better idea through pics of it disassembled...

Joe.

Comment

Working...
                                X