Milky oil cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milky oil cap

My brother is looking to buy a carolla and I went to look at it. Its a 95 1.4 LXI. There was a little of that evil white milky stuff under the oil cap. Can this form if the car has been driven just a couple of miles a day and some moisture builds up in the block. The owner said the car dosent even get to full temp to and from his work. I took off the rad cap and reved the car up and no bubbles came out and the water only rose a couple of millimeters.what should we do.

Originally posted by irishoffroad
    My brother is looking to buy a carolla and I went to look at it. Its a 95 1.4 LXI. There was a little of that evil white milky stuff under the oil cap. Can this form if the car has been driven just a couple of miles a day and some moisture builds up in the block. The owner said the car dosent even get to full temp to and from his work. I took off the rad cap and reved the car up and no bubbles came out and the water only rose a couple of millimeters.what should we do.
    More likely to be the HG than the head itself. There are, I believe, some more innocent reasons for mayonnaise but it's not good and, to be honest, a 1.4 Corolla is hardly the hardest to find car in the world is it?

Keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
      More likely to be the HG than the head itself. There are, I believe, some more innocent reasons for mayonnaise but it's not good and, to be honest, a 1.4 Corolla is hardly the hardest to find car in the world is it?

Keep looking.
      Yea, he has a few to look at so I dont think he will be going for that one. his budget is low as he blew the gear box in his last car!!

Comment

it might be worth checking the radiator coolant level, then getting the car up to temp on a run,stop and check the exhaust for white smoke ,but the exhaust must be hot as in this weather white smoke is common place, if the parameters are correct and there is no white smoke then you could rule out water getting into the pots, next check the oil cap again if the creamy covering is still there then dip the oil, if the oil has a creamy colour then walk away as the cooling water is getting into the oil, if the cap is just oily and has lost its creamy colour then the chances are that it was caused by condensation due to the engine not getting hot enough to burn off the moisture, when the rad is cool enough check the level of the coolant ,if its down and the white smoke/ cream is still apparent then it could be a blown gasket .this a generalisation and only a guide line but might help if you are unsure about engines.

Comment

My other half had this on her clio. Took it to get checked out and the mech said it was a result of short journeys. gave a good service and a flush - no more mayo.

Comment

Thanks guys thats great info.

Comment

Working...
            X