Split rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split rims

hi folks after a bit of advice really i have deerfeild alloys on my surf and they are splitrims they are needind a refurb .
    Whats the best way to get them looking good again??
    they are polished but are pitted and lacuer is all bubbled .
    Shot blasting ??
    Was thinking of stripping them down myself the rim that is will i need to remove the tyre to split the rims??
    Scottish mud club

The least you will need to do is deflate it, if you value your life and limbs

ask Popeye.

Bogus
    Сви можемо

Comment

Bunkles already covered it... But

you might need a new gasket for them aswell otherwise all the air goes out!

So make sure you get some ready for when they are apart!

Comment

Originally posted by martyrsvr
        hi folks after a bit of advice really i have deerfeild alloys on my surf and they are splitrims they are needind a refurb .
        Whats the best way to get them looking good again??
        they are polished but are pitted and lacuer is all bubbled .
        Shot blasting ??
        Was thinking of stripping them down myself the rim that is will i need to remove the tyre to split the rims??
        As Bogus said i found out the hard way,
        all depends if there three or two peice rims me old mate, have a good look at the mateing set up where the small bolts are, if the rim is visable both sides chanches are their three peice, if so you'll need to have the tyres removed,
        two peice, you can just remove the spider fron the back but either way i'd let the air out and remove the valve, two peice ya dont have to worry about resealing but three peice ya do,
        if so just get a couple of tubes of "SIKA" auto grade sealant, about a tenner a tube, (like the bathroom stuff but a lot better) and dont be paying £60 a wheel like i was quoted just to reseal em, just make sure you clean up the mateing surfaces with a wire wheel in a drill and a wipe ove with de-grease'r, smeer the sealant round the mateing faces and bolt together, then spred a good bead round the inside rim, allow a couple of days to cure and then apply some more, smooth it over with a plastic spatual type thing, (like ya get in tins of body filler) and when it's fully cured ya can have the tyres refitted,
        i take it their alloy? in which case you can clean and polish em yourself, just means hard work, and dont relaquer em either, just a polish once a year with car polish will keep em good, i got a nonferrious polishing kit from ebay for the initial clean, then autoglym and aint touched em since, still shiney,
        laquer always goes yellow or flakes off, you'll find the original coating aint laquer, stripper dont touch it, it's more like an electricly apply'd coating, a bugga to get off, only way i found was a brass wire wheel in a drill,
        post a pic of your wheel so we can see what your in for, i've no idea what "dearfield" wheels look like, (i've lead a sheltered life )

the finished job, i reversed the rim's to get a wider wheel look btw
        Attached Files
        Last edited by POPEYE; 8 January 2008, 21:07.
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

hoping to get mine like yours, well ill try ,looks like mine are 3 piece so will need to get tyres removed ,
          could polish them up but all the bolts are in the way .
          i have used stickaflex before for loads of stuff ( amazing stuff )
          actually heard they use it in certain places for sticking stuff on to the side of subs!!
          so ordering myself a polishing kit.
          cheers for the help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22309719@N03/2178525678/
          Scottish mud club

Comment

If it's any help Martyn, as you dont have coloured centers you could just let the air out and remove the valvs's, the rim's wont part, i had to use a mallet and cold chizel to get em apart, just remove the bolts and polish, but if your going to colour the center's it'd be better to split em,
            i try'd to link the polishing kit guy but he's no longer there on ebay, there were others tho, good luck with em, bl00dy hard work but the end result is worth it
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

if you dont need to split them just take a couple of bolts out at a time clean and polish the area them bolt them back up then same again thats what i done with mine and they are fine and it never broke the seal,
              good luck
              mick

Comment

Wheels

I have had three sets now done for my Landcruiser and Surf, they are not split rims just alloys.
                The guy I used has a mobile unit and does all 4 in a day at your place if you want. They end up looking like factory units and the first set was done 5 yes 5 years ago, and the third set about two months ago and are brill.

His company is called Blasted Alloys and his number is 01561-378184 or mobile 07773283409 and his name is Wullie, (that's Scots for William)

He is a good guy and I would not even bother doing them myself.

Mike Muller

Gen 3 SSRX Diesel Pearl

Comment

Working...
                X