Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen 'shock' from Toyota

Merry crimbo to all

My 3rd gen's suspension seems to hit its bump stops at the drop of a hat although it does not have saggy arse syndrome yet.

Popped into the local Toyota dealer for a quote to supply replacement (adjustable) shocks allround. Fancied keeping the normal/hard option. and standard ride-height.

Quote came in at little over 690squid!!!!

So then, plan B: looks like non-originals from Roughtrax for me.

Anyone fitted the Roughtrax gas shocks? Are they any good long term?

Also, should I be looking at new springs too? Roughtrax dont seem to do front springs - rears only. Unless it comes with the strut for 60squid.

OR - if I went with the 2" lift, can I expect problems down the road ie. quicker wear on ball joints etc?

Cheers.

Ash.
    ash-ssrg

Do a Google on

Explorer Pro comp.

Then order the ES9000 shocks for your truck, Possibly EXACTLY the same as roughtrax ones - but either way a good cheap shock, I think they are firmer then the hard setting on a 2nd gen - unsure about the 3rd gen's

But thats probably your best bet mate!

There, Thats better
    Last edited by RodLeach; 23 December 2007, 16:17.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
      Do a Google on

Explorer Pro comp.

Then order the ES9000 shocks for your truck, Possibly better then the roughtrax ones -
      errrrr.....

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=16&cid=170&vid=387

See the Procomp sticker..........

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by ash-ssrg

OR - if I went with the 2" lift, can I expect problems down the road ie. quicker wear on ball joints etc?

Cheers.

Ash.
        2" lifts will not really cause extra problems, but they can exaggerate wear that you already have, mostly steering rack bushes and track rods ends that are aready starting to wear, will show up more with a lift.

On the plus side, a 2" suspension lift make the truck look and handle nicer, they arn't particulally soft normally, but you'll gain in stiffer handling, especially round corners, without it being overly hard.

TJM are much better quailty IMHO, but Procomp are fantasic value for money, and i've fitted lots of both types.

Never tried the aftermarket front struts Roughtrax sell, so can't comment, but the Milners ones don't seen to last. Normally most people just go for the lift if you're doing that much work anyway. Procomp and TJM don't sell 'stock' length front shocks.

Also look at Rancho and OME, but I've not had any dealings with them from new, see alot of Rancho's around though. Mostly to replace the bushes on them!

Comment

Merry crimbo to all

My 3rd gen's suspension seems to hit its bump stops at the drop of a hat although it does not have saggy arse syndrome yet.

Popped into the local Toyota dealer for a quote to supply replacement (adjustable) shocks allround. Fancied keeping the normal/hard option. and standard ride-height.

Also, should I be looking at new springs too? Roughtrax dont seem to do front springs - rears only. Unless it comes with the strut for 60squid.

Cheers.

Ash.
          My SILVER BEAST was like that so i fitted 25% stronger springs from MILNERS & PROCOMP ES9000 shocks. JOB DONE!
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
          (")_(")

Comment

Merry crimbo to all

Cheers.

Ash.
            Hi l know its not a 3rd gen but my 2nd gen has "Old Man Emu" shockers all round and a "Old Man Emu" steering Damper total cost £476.80p and boy are they the mutts nuts.
            Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
              Do a Google on

Explorer Pro comp.

Then order the ES9000 shocks for your truck, Possibly better then the roughtrax ones - but either way a good cheap shock, I think they are firmer then the hard setting on a 2nd gen - unsure about the 3rd gen's

But thats probably your best bet mate!

won't take them long to nominate mate
              Brian

Comment

um.... Oops!!

Didnt realise that the Roughtrax ones were Pro comp..

Its Editing time

Comment

Are the Roughtrax ones ES9000s or ES3000s though?

I'm still leaning towards a pair of Tony's TJMs for the front of mine, though probably not til I do the BJ spacers / turn down the bumpstops (or make some new shorter ones) etc when the weather is a bit more conducive!
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                    Are the Roughtrax ones ES9000s or ES3000s though?
                    Both, 3000's are oil shocks, 9000's are the gas shocks. only for the rears though. Roughtrax don't list Procomp fronts, but different brands I've not got involved in. But I can get them, so they are available.

Comment

Working...
                    X