Africa capable Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Africa capable Surf

I am scoping out some vehicle options for a 9 month overland trip (Dorking to Durban-SA). I was looking at a Hliux pickup, but comfort will need to be considered, and more importantly security. We need to be able to get to the fridge and other goodies without getting out the vehicle and getting swamped. Those little hands get everywhere!!
    I have been looking at Landcruisers but ouch - the prices hurt. (looking to spend less than 5k if possible)
    Considering I will be in the back of beyond for weeks at a time, and completely dependant on the vehicle, I need something - A - reliable, and if A fails, B - easy to fix.
    I read some stories of the auto boxs popping due to radiator leakage into them on the Landcruiser forum, and they intimated that Surfs have similar issues.
    What are the thoughts of you guys - would you be confident in taking your vehicles through minefields in darkest Africa??
    Also picked up from the threads I have read on here that the heads are not the smartest - is this overkill, if I change the head before I go would I wasting money or ensuring I will get there in one piece (we are talking 30k miles or so).

Have also considered buying one in Japan and driving it from there Wife was less keen on this idea as Pakistan would be on the menu for that trip (like Sudan is going to be a piece of cake - won't be taking any teddy bears that's for sure )
    We recently did the Plymouth-Dakar banger rally and got a taste for a bigger trip!!

Your thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.
    Andrew

a Surf can do it.

There is a member on here whos Surf has done several Africa based trips.

The only thing that would concern me is the very small Fuel tank. approx 300mile range.

Aux. Fuel tanks can be near £1000. But im sure another MUCH cheaper option would pop up.

For £5000 you could get a nice 3.0ltr an do lots of minor work to it to make it almost perfect for such a trip.

In your in the right boat anyway - picking a Toyota Cant go too far wrong from that.

Comment

Working...
    X