Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOT Failure

Hi all,

I just took the Surf in for it's annual MOT failure, I have a couple of questions about the results. It failed because the "Nearside front constant velocity joint gaiter has split".

1) What the hell is it?!?
    2) The garage informed me that I would have to take this to a main dealer to fix as it needs a special tool, does this sound right??

I hate main dealers, they charge a small fortune for minor jobs and the ones near me are carp.

Grrrr.

Originally posted by Nellington
    Hi all,

I just took the Surf in for it's annual MOT failure, I have a couple of questions about the results. It failed because the "Nearside front constant velocity joint gaiter has split".

2) The garage informed me that I would have to take this to a main dealer to fix as it needs a special tool, does this sound right??

I hate main dealers, they charge a small fortune for minor jobs and the ones near me are carp.

Grrrr.
    Easy job mate, go to someone else it aint special job.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Rubber boot that covers the CV Joint on the drive shaft. Which one, inner or outer?

BULLSH!T!

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/cvjoints.htm

Nev

Comment

Hi all,

Grrrr.
        An hours work but buy both inner and outer cv boots as you may as well change both when it's off as the are only £9 outer and £12 for the inner
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie
          An hours work but buy both inner and outer cv boots as you may as well change both when it's off as the are only £9 outer and £12 for the inner
          Nice one!! Will do, any idea where I can pick some up?? I did have a quick look at roughtrax but couldn't see any (might just be me being dumb).

Also have to get the rear exhaust changed and have advisory on the center and front part as well, which sounds expensive..............

Comment

Nice one!! Will do, any idea where I can pick some up?? I did have a quick look at roughtrax but couldn't see any (might just be me being dumb).

Also have to get the rear exhaust changed and have advisory on the center and front part as well, which sounds expensive..............

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=11&cid=146

http://www.toyotahilux.com/?doc=11&cid=144

Comment

Superstar!!

Comment

Ok so I have found a garage that will do the jobs for me, at quite a reasonable price too.
                One last thing I need to know, I am having the whole exhaust replaced as it is in a very poor state. If I order the front, center and rear exhaust parts from Roughtrax and take it to the garage is that all they will need or will I need to order some other bits as well?? There seemed to be quite a bit of exhaust stuff on the roughtrax page.........

Comment

you should get the gaskets as well. ive tried reusing the old ones but its hard to get them to reseal.

Bogus
                  Сви можемо

Comment

As Bogus said get new seals , only a few bob .

Popped down to my local Kwik fit place, they do not fit customer
                    supplied exhausts, but the guy fitted it as a " private " job last
                    thing on a sunday for £20 . Worth an ask ?

Chris
                    GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Originally posted by poppy986
                      As Bogus said get new seals , only a few bob .

Popped down to my local Kwik fit place, they do not fit customer
                      supplied exhausts, but the guy fitted it as a " private " job last
                      thing on a sunday for £20 . Worth an ask ?

Chris
                      I have been offered a similar arrangement by the garage I am going to use!!
                      Is the CV gaiter the reason the Steering goes clunk when on full lock or is this a different rubber thingy-me-bob??

Comment

I have been offered a similar arrangement by the garage I am going to use!!
                        Is the CV gaiter the reason the Steering goes clunk when on full lock or is this a different rubber thingy-me-bob??
                        the clonk on full lock is the steering stops and can be cured by a blob of grease on them.Do a search for steering stops
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Could be or it could be the steering stops need a grease up ?
                          Tried to find the relivant post but could not find it .

Take a look under the front of the truck . there is the "bolt" steering stop
                          adjuster which makes contact with a metal bracket looking thing .

Oh so technical me ha ha well just grease that part of the bracket that
                          makes contact with the bolt . Job done !

Chris
                          GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

which garage u goin to?

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2
                              which garage u goin to?
                              There are two which are very good in Haywards Heath, one is Browns and the other is Chewters.

Comment

Working...
                              X