3.0 into 2.4 swap/cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.0 into 2.4 swap/cost?

Got the chance of a very cheap 2nd gen 2.4 thats thrown a big end and I was thinking of just putting a recon 3.0 in it instead of repairing the 2.4 (given the head issues with the 2.4's)
    Is this a fairly basic swap, ie, just find a 3.0 and get it slapped in or will I need to change other things and how much is it likely to cost?
    How easy is it to get hold of a decent/recon 3.0 surf motor?
    Any help/advice would be much appreciate!
    cheers

Forget it! To do a 2.4 to a 3ltr 1KZ-TE swap you really need a front cut as you need everything including the loom, ECU and all the rest. Engine mounts need to be moved as well.

Nev

Comment

bugger ..ok, so what kind of money am i looking at for a rebuild on the 2.4, or am I cheaper looking for a recon?, and how much would that be?

Comment

Originally posted by munki
        bugger ..ok, so what kind of money am i looking at for a rebuild on the 2.4, or am I cheaper looking for a recon?, and how much would that be?
        Here you go mate

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-S...QQcmdZViewItem
        Brian

Comment

Munki - V8 it!!

If your considering an engine swap then you should consider going crazy - If only for a fleeting moment.

Other then that, as already stated its a pig of a job.

Anyway - 2.4s are waaaaaay better then a silly 3.0ltr!

Comment

Cheers for the advice!
            Seems crazy that its such a big job and that the engines are so much different, they both come out of the same chassis at the end of the day!
            Only thing that put me off the 2.4 was the head probs they can have, but a recon'd engine shud be ok if i look after it, (thanks for the link Yoshie!)
            I havnt bought the vehicle yet, only other worries i have are that i cant test anything else out on it ..gearbox,brakes,suspension etc without it running.
            Its blue and it looks nice tho' heheheh

Comment

Yeah, same chassis in the LN130 and KZN130. The engine mounts would be easy enough if that's all you needed to do. The major hurdle is the engine and associated electronics are totally different.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                Munki - V8 it!!

If your considering an engine swap then you should consider going crazy - If only for a fleeting moment.

Anyway - 2.4s are waaaaaay better then a silly 3.0ltr!
                says the man who would snap the hand from another that wants to sell his 3 gen....................lol
                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by munki
                  Got the chance of a very cheap 2nd gen 2.4 thats thrown a big end and I was thinking of just putting a recon 3.0 in it instead of repairing the 2.4 (given the head issues with the 2.4's)
                  Is this a fairly basic swap, ie, just find a 3.0 and get it slapped in or will I need to change other things and how much is it likely to cost?
                  How easy is it to get hold of a decent/recon 3.0 surf motor?
                  Any help/advice would be much appreciate!
                  cheers
                  Have you asked bushwacker if he still has his 2.4, he V8-ted his surf a couple of months ago??
                  Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper
                    says the man who would snap the hand from another that wants to sell his 3 gen....................lol

I'd still keep the 2.4

Comment

engine

Hi you dont show where you live l wouls ring "STEVO" and see if he can help you, he would be far cheaper than converting over to a 3litre. Oh by the way l have all the bits to convert to a 3litre. BUT not selling them as l am waiting for a cheapy to come up.
                      Live Life To The Full

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
                        Forget it! To do a 2.4 to a 3ltr 1KZ-TE swap you really need a front cut as you need everything including the loom, ECU and all the rest. Engine mounts need to be moved as well.

Nev
                        And here's some pics to prove what Nev's talking about, courtesy Oz site

http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/enginetrans.htm
                        Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

I see a couple of bottles of Coopers in there...

Who on earth told the Aussies they could do beer?!?!
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Every picture on that Aussie site has beer in it somewhere

Even if its just a mention of beer!

They must love the stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach
                              Munki - V8 it!!

Anyway - 3.0 are waaaaaay better then a silly 2.4ltr!

Comment

Working...
                              X