Moaning about the cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moaning about the cold

I bought my surf last spring and enjoyed driving (and fixing) it all summer, but I'm bracing myself for a host of new problems as the temperature dives here in Edmonton (Canada).

Sure enough, this past week we had our first relatively cold spell (-25C overnight, highs around -18C), and the truck's started making one hell of a strange noise that's got me baffled... let me try to describe it, any guesses at the cause (or cure) would be most appreciated.

The best word I can come up with is a "moan", not a "whine, squeal, or rattle". It seems to be coming from more from the front left side, but it fills the cab as opposed to sounding very specific. It comes and goes fairly randomly, although it's more likely to start when I'm turning a corner, and will stop if I hit the brakes hard enough to lock the wheels (even if I don't stop). When I first start driving, it "moans" about half the time. It goes away eventually if I drive fast enough (80km/h+) for long enough (20min+). While it's "moaning" I can feel some light vibration through the floor, and the speedometer flutters a little bit.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Jonathan
    if bush comes to shrub...

Hub bushes or wheel bearing maybe.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

could be a sticky brake piston
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
      X