centre diff conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• centre diff conversion

hi, new here and thinking of purchasing a 2nd gen but i want full time 4wd without having to buy a 3rd gen which are more expensive and don't look as nice.
    Does anybody know if the 2nd gen can be converted with a 3rd gen centre diff?, has anybody attempted it?

Its not recommended, completely different set up from the tranfer case, the front drive shaft is on the opposite side for 3rd Gens.

This means you'd need the whole front drive train, diffs, shafts, wishbones, struts, etc. Which basically isn't really feasable.

An old Member Elvie way back tried it, but it never worked out reliablely.

Just buy a 3rd Gen if you want AWD.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Or buy a land cruiser;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1990-Toyota-La...QQcmdZViewItem
      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

thanks, dont think i'll bother with a conversion then, my main concern was wet weather motorway driving and such like, I would assume such a large/heavy vehicle could get a bit of a handfull at speed without 4wd?
        what are they like on slippery/wintery roads?

Comment

Originally posted by munki
          thanks, dont think i'll bother with a conversion then, my main concern was wet weather motorway driving and such like, I would assume such a large/heavy vehicle could get a bit of a handfull at speed without 4wd?
          what are they like on slippery/wintery roads?

They're fine on wet snowy/icy roads, I've never had any dramas using either mud tyres or all terrains.
          If you feel any slipping on icy or snow covered roads, just press the 4WD button on the side of the transfer caes lever. As long as the road surface is slippery enough, 4WD can be used on the road, otherwise the transfer case will complain.

Comment

ok thanks for feedback, think i'll start looking for one and get a test drive ..i fancy the 3.0 petrol version but they seem a little hard to come by (mainly so i can LPG convert it)
            shame the 3rd gen ones are out of my price range, but i like the look of 2nd gen more anyway heheh.

Comment

Working...
            X