3rd gen rear diff removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen rear diff removal

Need to take the rear diff out (so I can fit auto locker) of my 3rd gen. I haven't done any mechanical jobs on a Toyota before, and never removed a diff on any cars! So how easy/hard is it to remove the diff?

Any help greatfully recieved

Mark.......
    Let taste be the enemy of art!

Its not so bad, remove the wheels, prop and drain the oil. Then undo the brake cables and pipes from the brake back plates. Then undo the 4 nuts holding them to the axle housing and pull the shafts and backplates out about 3-4"s (you need to get the shafts out from the spider gears)

Then you can undo the diff bolts and pull it out. You might have to move the ARB to get the diff out, you have to on 2nd Gens for sure.

Then put it all back together. Be carefull pushing the shafts back in, there is a oil slinger type thing pressed into the inner ends of the axle tubes, if your careless pushing the shafts back in, you'll punch them out into the diff space.

After you have the wheels off, but before pulling the rest apart, pull the drums off and check the end float in the rear wheel bearing by pulling on the end of the axleshaft, if it has more than 1mm of play then you may want to do the bearings while its all apart. If you have any oil in the rear brakes, its also a sign the bearings are shot.

Its not an easy job without the right tools and a press, but the rear bearings tend to start showing signs of wear around 80-100k miles, and if they get to worn it smotherss the rear shoes with diff oil.

Originally posted by MrE
    Need to take the rear diff out (so I can fit auto locker) of my 3rd gen. I haven't done any mechanical jobs on a Toyota before, and never removed a diff on any cars! So how easy/hard is it to remove the diff?

Any help greatfully recieved

Mark.......
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony,
      The axle set up sounds a bit like the zuki axle with regard to the bearings! Will I need a gaskit or is it a selant job?

Thanks again

Mark.....

Comment

Originally posted by MrE
        Thanks Tony,
        The axle set up sounds a bit like the zuki axle with regard to the bearings! Will I need a gaskit or is it a selant job?

Thanks again

Mark.....
        I just use sealant on the old gasket.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Cheers Tony.

Mark.........

Comment

Working...
          X