yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing brake caliper, single or pair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing brake caliper, single or pair?

Did the pads today and one piston is seized, no hope of shifting using all the tips I searched for on here. I ended up replacing pads in one side, 10 minute job, and spending 3 hrs on the other! I ended up putting old pad back in one side of that caliper with a new pad in the other. Far from ideal but it allowed me to shift the truck 20 metres across the drive out of the way!

Now the crux of the question is whether to replace 1 caliper or do the pair. Never sure on these things. The good side, was fine, very free pistons and no obvious issues.

Comments?

Ta,

Dave

Replacing one caliper is fine if the other side is OK.

Comment

Personally I would replace both. If one was seized, the other may be showing its age too and could be stiffer than a new one or not performing optimally for a variety of reasons. Either way its highly unlikely that a new and an old one will perform exactly the same.
      Any mismatch could lead to an imbalance in braking efficiency.
      When it comes to critical safety related items such as brake pads, brake shoes, tyres, dampers, calipers, disc or drums etc I always replace with a matched pair.
      You can't put a price on safety.
      Maurice
      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
        When it comes to critical safety related items such as brake pads, brake shoes, tyres, dampers, calipers, disc or drums etc I always replace with a matched pair.
        You can't put a price on safety.
        I agree completely.

Nev

Comment

I would probably replace both as well but in reality it is not quite rational. Brake calipers are not made as matched pairs. If one is working perfectly theres no real sense in replacing it. Your problem pretty much proves that. Im sure both were new at the same time and yet one has screwed up while the other hasnt. So in reality you have nothing to gain in terms of braking or safety by replacing something thats working. Emotionally it might seem right, but rationally it doesnt make sense

Bogus
          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
            I would probably replace both as well but in reality it is not quite rational. Brake calipers are not made as matched pairs. If one is working perfectly theres no real sense in replacing it. Your problem pretty much proves that. Im sure both were new at the same time and yet one has screwed up while the other hasnt. So in reality you have nothing to gain in terms of braking or safety by replacing something thats working. Emotionally it might seem right, but rationally it doesnt make sense

Bogus

Thats what I meant, but I condensed it into one sentence!

Comment

With what I've read (thanks guys) I have decided to replace the one.

Ta,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                Thats what I meant, but I condensed it into one sentence!
                Thats why you are the Prof. I tend to go on a bit, thats why I dont post much. I,ll keep paying attention and try to learn from you oh wise one.

Bogus
                Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
                X